I have been using citalopram for approximately 1 month, ...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been using citalopram for approximately 1 month, I have noticed my appetitie has increased as well, but unfortunately I have gained 8 pounds in weight. I definately feel that the benefits of the citalopram have improved my depression, however, as a woman who is constantly fighting weight problems I wont be able to tolerate another 8 pound weight gain! I will keep you informed.

[i:878bc0fdfc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:878bc0fdfc]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, i too have been on citalopram but for 4 months, brilliant though it is for fighting depression, Ive put on half a stone, and no amount of excercise and changing my diet seems to help! Is this common with anyone else?

[i:5acf114b02]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5acf114b02]

• Posted

Hi,

I really sympathise with you - I've been on citalopram for five months now and have put on a stone, despite my diet and exercise levels remaining constant. It's a real struggle when the thing that's meant to be making me feel better (and is), also makes me so self-conscious about how I look. I found the weight gain really accelerated when I increased my dose from 20 to 40 mg/day. Was that your experience as well?

[i:5124572223]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5124572223]

• Posted

oh dear me too. I've put on 5lbs in two weeks. I was starving hungry all the time. have now gone on to low carb diet and this seems to be making me less hungry. I can't bare to put on weight
  • Posted

I have put on 3 stones in 2 years of being on cit. Despite them working really well, I have started to reduce them to see if I can lose the weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.