I have bloating only.

Posted , 5 users are following.

One doctor told me it was IBS and another said it wasn't. I have just started on Magnesium Citrate. I would be grateful for any help.  I eat quite a bit of veg and salads and do not want to stop.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Try a food diary to see if food is causing bloating; gluten which is found in wheat, rye barley and other grains ,is a common culprit.  Ask for a celiac test and ask about non celiac gluten intolerance. What made one of your doctors think you have iBS?  To have IBS you would have bowel habit change and stomach pain that moves about. Other symptoms include, bloating, nausea or food intolerance.  IBS manifests as a collection of symptoms. 

Have you had a pelvic ultrasound to check for cysts?

• Posted

Thanks Pippa.I don't eat any grains. I will ask for the celiac test.

I think doctors tend to just say its IBS as they don't have time for thorough discussion and tests.  I don't have any nausea or pain.

I have had a test for fibroids in the womb but was told I don't have any.  Small firoids outside which are benign.  They were concerned with cancer and not anything else for that test.

• Posted

Ask your doctor if the small fibroids they found could be causing bloatiing and make sure you are eating gluten before your celiac test.
    • Posted

Thanks Pippa. I will ask my doctor re fibroidsand eat gluten before test.
  • Posted

Hi, I take magnesium citrate 300 mg tablets 2 a day, they act as a mild laxative due to osmosis effect, drink plenty of water with them, magnesium is a very important mineral does a lot of things in the body, I suffer with bloating but not so much now I'm taking magnesium, I think mine's due to slow transit due having a redundant colon, I also eat Chia seeds I soak them in water they go sort of glutinous and then drink them, they have loads of good stuff in them and high in fibre, check out the fodmap diet it tells you foods etc likely to cause problems like bloating etc.

• Posted

I've been taking magnesium for about 2 months now and it doesn't seem to make any difference.   I will try Chia seeds.  I did look at foodmap diet but don't think I could be that restrictive.

Thanks for your comments

• Posted

Do you have bowel symptoms? If not then it's not IBS.

Have you only recently started eating lots of fruit and veg ?

• Posted

I don't have bowel symptoms.  I used to have constipation but not any more for some reason.

I have eaten lots of fruit and veg for years.

However, I am always dieting so really only eat one meal a day.  We have just cme back from holiday when I was eating quite a bit more but bloating was the same.

Thanks for your message.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.