I have Graves' disease and am on block and replace! Is anyone else on this and feeing very depressed and fat!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am on 40mg of cabimazole and 150mg of thyroxine

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Do you also have Hashimoto's?  I don't hear of many who are on "block and replace".  Just the block.  Please see earlier postings about using L-carnitine and Acetyl-L-carnitine for Graves.  Many of us have had good recovery with using this along with Carbimazole or Tapazole.  You get it in Health Food Stores.  Your doctor will not know about this and won't endorse it though.  L-Carnitine is an amino acid naturally found in the body that gets depleted in Graves disease so replacing it helps restore us to health and in doses up to 3,000 mg it is quite safe.
  • Posted

If you take the L-carnitine as your levels improve, you will be able to lower the Carbimazole in conjunction with blood test monitoring with your doctor.
  • Posted

I've been told to try this as 50% of patients don't have another episode. My bloods are stable at the moment but I feel very fed up and have put on a lot of weight. Would the natural remedy help with this? 
    • Posted

Hashimoto's is another autoimmune thyroid disease.  The natural remedy helps with Graves.  I don't know about block and replace.  It usually helps normalize thyroid blood tests so you can decrease the amount of blocking meds you take.  It definitely made most people feel better because we lose Carnitine from our muscles when we have this disease.  I don't know what it does to someone who is on both as far as your blood tests go but it is safe to take for most people, even those who have no disease.  Perhaps if anyone who is on block and replace has done this, they could respond.  Like I said, I seldom hear of this.  Mostly it is just block.
    • Posted

Perhaps you could see a Naturopath and ask them?
    • Posted

Hi last time I was on block and replace  which put me in remission for 4 years I'm now got graves again my endo wants me to have rai  but I don't want it .
  • Posted

Hello tennab,

I'm on block and replace for the second time round - as I refused so far to have radioactive iodine.  I'm on 40mg carbimazole twice a day on 50 mg thyroxine.  Before going on block and replace I lost 7kg within a very short time but have put it all back on again and yes, I do feel a bit on the overweight side - although I am not.  Depressed, no, but unable to concentrate much yes.  I've also had thyroid eye disease with the Graves, although that isn't so bad.

• Posted

I find it hard to concentrate too! I think the weight is because of my state of mind. I am sorry to hear about your eye disease I have been lucky not to have had an eye problem. Good luck and I hope you get better Stefania. rolleyes
    • Posted

Try taking the thyroxin in the morning with no milk or food for at least 30 minutes + selenium.  I was flat for two years after my thyroid removal, then changed the time I took the stuff, added the selenium and my life changed in a morning.  I went from total exhaustion plus all the stuff you have to normal in a few hours.    I'm booked in to move 10 tons of gravel with my son in law tomorrow - by hand !  6 months ago I could hardly get out of a chair. 

Ross

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.