I have had a social phobia and stutter for as long as I can remember.

Posted , 5 users are following.

It has totally consumed my life, I have turned down good jobs and have had to settle to work in the shadows (so to speak). It is so frustrating because I know I have huge potential but my fear of stuttering in front of others is overwhelming. I keep getting told to face my fears but thats easier said than done. Im now at the age of 41 and have been for professional help but it doesnt work.

Any advice will be appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kurt. I have experienced this in similar ways. It's not pretty you are right. What helped me was to prepare what you want to say briefly and say it to yourself in front of a mirror. You see yourself and know it's all good ( even if you think you already know it, I don't think your unconscious self does). Also, try speaking exercises. I hope this helps you. Much love - Zu 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Kurt.

I was just wondering what type of professional help you have been through?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for responding. Well I went to psychiotrists and they tried hypnotherapy and I was also put on pills, which was to calm my anxiety. The problem is that I dont usually stutter when I talk to one person, it only happens when theres authoritive persons around or in front of a gruop of people.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's more common than you probably think.

A friend of mine went to a speech therapist who helped him to speak more slowly and it really helped him a lot.

He rarely stutters at all anymore and has gained so much more confidence.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

An earpiece that echoes was used years ago after it was noticed no stuttering in echo chamber
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up