I have had panic disorder for only about six months but ...

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had panic disorder for only about six months but to an extent, i am on medication, both anti depressants and beta blockers. The physical symptoms of panic have subsided but the anti depressants are not helping the mental effects of panic disorder, therefore the panic attacs seem harder to deal with as instead of having physical symptoms that make you aware its a panic attack no physical symptoms make me feel in my head i am going insane and feel that i cannot handle what is going on inside my head and it is very frightening. it is the most intense fear i have ever felt in my life and i imagine it is how you would feel if someone had a loaded gun held to your head and was telling you they were going to pull the trigger.

[i:55aedf3a35]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:55aedf3a35]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I too have only recently started having panic attacks - about two months. Today was the worst one ever! Full blown attack. i was at work and felt I was gonna collapse - tingling in my fingers, racing heart beat, sweaty - really not good. I had a bar of chocolate which for some reason seemed to calm me down a little. I started feeling better in the after noon though. It feels awful, I find it really difficult speaking to work colleagues I have with drawn so much from my usual self. I am usually really lively and fun. I cant explain it to people. I have only spoken to my doctor about it who I dont think he took too seriously. I would really like to speak to someone who is in the same situation as me and maybe be able to help each other. The worst thing is not being able to speak to any one about it! I feel if I speak to a friend they may think I am going crazy - so I just keep it to my self. Hope you reply.

Saj.

[i:316dce8c5d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:316dce8c5d]

• Posted

I have had panic attics for 10 months and I feel like I've been in hell. I undrstand everything you're going through. The worst part is feeling like you're losing your mind. I feel so alone. When I'm out in public I look at everyone and envy them. They all look so normal and I feel like no one else in the world is suffering except me. The only thing that has helped is my faith in God. I won't give up praying for healing. God is at our sides and He cares even though it may seem he doesn't. Good luck andd write back if you wish.

[i:0dbb2b1912]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0dbb2b1912]

• Posted

i kept tit to myself for so long, never told anyone so i really do understand how you feel, ALone and scared. I finally plucked up thecourage to confide in my parnter and family who have all been so supportive. I am no whre near my normal self but i am dettermined not to let this rule my life anymore. Go see another doctor make them listen there is help for you if you need it. My doctor gave me this fantastic websire which helps you change your thought atterns. It is moodgym.anu.edu.au. Try it. But most of all talk to a friend a stranger anyone. Yu do not have to do this alone as i have just found out the hard way.

I truly wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi you posted your experience two years ago and i sincerly hope you are better now but i felt i wanted to reply. I am recovering from a panic disorder. It started with a random panic attack on the 29/04/06 didnt even know what it was, and i ended up thinking i was going mad and was gong to end up in a mental institution and was goning to lose my family. This was the most terrifying time of my life. I am coming to relaise that though i am lucky to be 90% better (due to being on medication called citalopram, have been on this for just over a year.) i will never be back to my normal self. I dont dare come of my medication and still have to fight the panics off every now and again. The difference in me is amazing though i couldnt sleep or eat before, just wish i wasnt on tablets. Basically i know what yo u have gone through and no body understands unless they have been there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.