I have had rai treatment and take thyroxine. I would lik...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have had rai treatment and take thyroxine. I would like to know if any of your readers have had trouble with swallowing as I feel like I have a lump stuck in my throat. Your website has given me a lot of very good information. It is nice to know I am not the only person with this disease as it is hard to explain to other people sometimes. I have felt that I have been on my own as there has been no one I could talk to.

[i:aaba3754af]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:aaba3754af]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I to have Graves Disease and in answer to your question also have had difficulty swallowing because of feeling a lump in my throat. This is due to the goitre around my neck, but was only when I was on carbimazole and no thyroxine was in my system. At the same time as I had trouble swallowing I also suffered with extreme lower back pain has anyonr else had this?

[i:a97594203a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a97594203a]

• Posted

i have just been diganosed with Graves , although the endocrineteam have yet tosee me for an outpatients appt, i am struggling with this and feel so alone , i hear that some outcomes are failry positive and yet others seem awful !!!! does life return to normalish, i have apparently had a good blood result my t4 has gone from 60 to 33 in ten days on carbimizole , i also have been able to reduce my stedroids by 5mg sa my eyes have settled a bit , would really like to talk to someone in my posistion as some stuff on the net scary

[i:1256157bc5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1256157bc5]

• Posted

I was diagnosed with graves three years ago, my T4 levels were near to 100 when I was diagnosed and it took 12 mths + to get them under control! (I had a reaction to carbimizole which didn't really help matters and had to take Proplyuthyroucil-sorry spelt wrong and beta blockers)I was very ill at first, with all the typical symptoms, once my levels were under control my quality of life improved to near normal. I tried coming off the medication but relapsed, then tried rai which didn't work for me, by now I had a large goitre and was suffering mild eye disease, but generally I actually felt ok in myself, but knew long term staying on the tablets wasn't an option, so seven weeks ago I had a total thyroidectomy. I recovered really well and went back to work after 4 wks but by end of 2nd week the symptoms of being hypo really kicked in and I was left feeling totally exhausted, I am trying really hard to take each day slowly but with a young family and work its tough!!! I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be "normal" as I once was, but I do believe you can manage your thyroid effectively to achive a good quality of life. My secret to surviving has been reading as much as I can about the condition and being confident enough to challenge my consultant when my blood results say one thing and I know I feel differently, we can normally reach a compromise now...

Good luck but don't forget doctors are only human, they are still learning lots about the thyroid and you may know as much or more than some of the doctors you go to see as many of them are genral practitioners and not thyroid experts, so they can learn as much from listening to you! :D:D:D:D:D:D:ok::ok::ok:

[i:ecff970dbe]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ecff970dbe]

• Posted

hi - im corin and i have both graves and hashimotos thyroid diseases!

this is my first time to this part of the pt uk site - and im surprised that there are not more people logging on to this bit!

if you return to the opening page (the green topped one) and enter 'carbimazole' as your search, press go and enter the pt experience section - youll see that you are in no way as alone with your concerns as you appear to be on this page!!

ive personally found the info shared on the carbimazole pages extremely beneficial - even just realising how many people are going through the same as meis so reassuring!

please give it a try - log on!!

good luck,

regards,

corin x

[i:5d8636506f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5d8636506f]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.