I have horrendous anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my mum passed away in 2009, in 2010 I was put on citalopram... the past 6 months I have slowly been coming off citalopram.. on march 18th I stopped them

Altogether, it was relatively easy weaning off them, but now it has been 2 months off them all together and I have horrendous anxiety... to the point I think I'm going through a existential crisis too.

My doctor checked my depression score and it was 4 which is low, but my anxiety is quite high, so I have been taking proponol beta blockers to help with the anxiety symptoms.

We are planning to start trying for a baby in a few months so there's no point going back on citalopram.. because they will just take me off them again (and start the whole process again)

I'm just feeling very fed up of feeling this anxiety, I just need to know that this will end?? I was on citalopram for 7 years so I guess my brain will struggle for a while to balance out.

I'm trying so hard, doing yoga everyday, avoiding caffeine, watching positive funny films, rescue drops...

One of the things that makes me feel anxious is knowing we are all getting older and will 1 day not be here. (Existential crisis)

It's never bothered me before!

Is there any antidepressants that can be taken whilst pregnant? ??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Get your self a fiddle cube or fiddle spinner. Might want to check out CBT theraphy. Even though they say there is no tie between antidepressants during pregnancy and autism I wouldn't take the chance.

• Posted

Hi Mari, yes my sister is sending me some CBT books and I'm starting counselling next week- fingers crossed because I'm desperately wanting to feel normal

• Posted

That good to know. Replace that negative loop with positive affermations. Take positive sayings and post all over your house then say them over and over every day. You can do this and you will get back to normal!
  • Posted

Hi Angel

I dont think the dr would take you off citalopram when you are pregnant. They are still given during pregnancy if the need for the tablets outweighs the risks to the baby. There is information on the MIND website that I read when I was pregnant. Everyone is different in how much anxiety they feel and how they cope with it so some people (maybe you?) Really need to take it and therefore its worth the possible risks.

I was on citalopram when I got pregnant first time and I weaned myself off over 3 weeks. I felt absolutely terrible coming off the pills (withdrawal) but once I was over that I felt fine all through my pregnancy. Something about being pregnant meant my serotonin was boosted maybe? As soon as I gave birth the anxiety was back with avengeance. I have avoided them.ever since because of.how.terrible I felt coming off them. Now I am definitely never having anymore babies im taking it again and plan to just stay on.it.. I have had up and down times and have found over the years the only things that seem to raise my serotonin are antidepressants and cardio exercise. Could you join a gym or start running? Before I had my second child I went to the gym 4 times a week and I felt as good as I did on citalopram.

Good luck its not easy x

• Posted

Hi Sarah thank you for your reply, I have started doing yoga, but I do think some actual cardio could help! I'm just not much of an exercising person, but it must be worth it!

My sister was taken off antidepressants when she got pregnant but because of her mental health which went down hill they put her back on a low dose.

I'm a bit unsure what antidepressants do to an unborn child anyway, I need to do some research. Thank you for your support 😊

• Posted

I found it hard to find in my research what ssris actually do to a baby. I know when taken in final few months that theres a chance baby can experience withdrawal symptoms when born and initially increases risk of miscarriage.I was already on citalopram when I found out I was pregnant (total shock as drs said I was infertile!) So went into a bit of a panic not wanting to risk anything which might harm my baby. But drs told me.recently it can be taken during pregnancy so I dont know... I guess it depends on how much you have to have it whether you take it during pregnancy. Your sister obviously had to whereas I think because id suffered anxiety for years without it previously I knew id be ok.

Yoga sounds good. Do u find it relaxes you? I keep thinking about doing yoga, even bought a dvd which is still in the wrapper! But yes if you can do some cardio even just fast walking itll make you feel better as exercise raises your serotonin

Make the most of your time when you can. Now Ive got 2 babies I dont have time to go to gym anymore :D x

• Posted

I will definitely do some research then smile gives me something to focus on.

Today is a good day, I wonder what tomo will bring.

Yeah yoga is great! There's a link I would love to show you where anxiety stress trauma lie in a particular muscle. Is there a private message bit on this website?

Yeah I'll make most of my free time, I want my head to be straight before I have children, I'm 33 so I need to get cracking!

Another anxiety 😩

These proponols are great, I hope I don't have much withdrawals once I come off these too.

• Posted

Know that SSRI's cause neurogenisis meaning they sitmulate new nerve growth in the brain. This drug crosses blood brain barrier and also crosses umbilical cord and placenta. There is no way to know if the new neuro circuits are normal pathways. The baby's brain is developing so would introducing a drug that can alter those neuro pathways a good idea?

• Posted

Id love to see that link. I think u click on the letter symbol top right to send messages?

Im glad today is a good day and that the proponals are working well smile

If I waited for my head to be straight before I had children I dont think id ever have gad any! But u sound much more proactive than me!

Dont worry about your age people have babies later and later now.xx

• Posted

Doesnt sound good! Thats why I felt lucky I could do without them. Im sure the risks are very small though if people do need to keep taking them or drs wouldn't say they could be taken during pregnancy

• Posted

It took me two years of research to find that out. Drs get most info from journals and ddrug reps. If dr. Isn't nuero scientist they may not know.

• Posted

Hi there.  Sorry to hear about your anxiety.  I was on Citalopram for more then double the time you were.  

I stopped taking them cold turkey almost two years ago.  The withdrawal symptoms can definitely be delayed.....like you, at first it seemed a bit easy as far as my emotions....but within weeks my anxiety went through the roof.

I did a lot of reading on forums about what others have said they went through.  So, I was expecting this high anxiety.  They call it neuroemotions.  The medication had numbed me for so many years, so, when I stopped....I felt very, very raw and extremely irritable, paranoid, angry.....all kinds of intense emotions.  I have a lot of meloncholy.

It does get better over time.  My suggestion is that you figure out the best all natural ways that you can calm yourself down. Cut down on coffee, sleep enough hours at night, chamomile tea, vitamins, long walks.  I also take Propanolol for blood pressure and anxiety....it helps a lot. I also take Xanax.  But, I'm older then you and not at the child bearing years anymore.

i wish you well and hope you can figure out how to get the anxiety under control. Having a child might force you to focus on other wonderful, fun, loving events besides aging. 

• Posted

Hi Karen thank you so much for your reply, it's reassuring to see so many people that have gone through similar!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.