I have horrendous anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, my mum passed away in 2009, in 2010 I was put on citalopram... the past 6 months I have slowly been coming off citalopram.. on march 18th I stopped them

Altogether, it was relatively easy weaning off them, but now it has been 2 months off them all together and I have horrendous anxiety... to the point I think I'm going through a existential crisis too.

My doctor checked my depression score and it was 4 which is low, but my anxiety is quite high, so I have been taking proponol beta blockers to help with the anxiety symptoms.

We are planning to start trying for a baby in a few months so there's no point going back on citalopram.. because they will just take me off them again (and start the whole process again)

I'm just feeling very fed up of feeling this anxiety, I just need to know that this will end?? I was on citalopram for 7 years so I guess my brain will struggle for a while to balance out.

I'm trying so hard, doing yoga everyday, avoiding caffeine, watching positive funny films, rescue drops...

One of the things that makes me feel anxious is knowing we are all getting older and will 1 day not be here. (Existential crisis)

It's never bothered me before!

Is there any antidepressants that can be taken whilst pregnant? ??

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Angel

I also lost my mum in 2009 and my dad too - I know the pain you went through xx

I came off Citalopram last year and am now taking a natural SSRI bought over the counter - 5-HTP and I'm feeling great still.  This is something to discuss with your doctor as again, I'm not sure if they'd be safe to take.  Worth thinking about though.

When you suffer with anxiety you actually get stuck in a cycle - you become afraid of the anxiety which in turn produces more anxiety, keeping it recycling over and over.  Scary / anxious thoughts are a side effect of anxiety - once the anxiety eases, the thoughts will diminish and be put back into perspective, not bothering you anymore.  I had lots of scary thoughts, and now I'm better they don't bother me.

Understanding anxiety really helped me - how it comes about, why it stays, its side effects, how to deal with it etc.  There's a great website I can send you by private message (can't post the link here or my post will be deleted).  Its written by a man who suffered for 10 years and cured himself with no meds.  He also talks about getting stuck in a cycle, and how to break out of it.  He wrote a book too which I bought.

When you're anxious you naturally try and fight it, but that's the worst thing to do.  Fighting it means you tense your body - and anxiety likes tensesness to keep thriving.  Some people rush about trying to get rid of anxiety - but you can't.  You have to relax the body, even when moving about, letting the anxiety be there, and carrying on with your every day, however uncomfortable it feels.  Relaxing gives the body a different message ... your relearning no be unafraid of it.  Its not easy and its not an overnight fix.  Takes months.  Anyway, the website and book talks about it more in detail.  It really is a great read.

At the moment your body is sensitised - meaning its on alert all the time, and you have to desensitise your body, bringing it back to normal.  That's done by this relaxing the body which slowly soothes the nerves.

K x

• Posted

Hi Kate, I am so sorry to hear about your mum and dad xxxx it's never easy.

Thank you so much for your thorough reply, I feel so much better for reading it.

I've had a better day today, I think my proponol have kicked in.

I have seen 5 HTP in holland and barratt, I asked my nurse about it but she knew nothing of it, I think I'll ask my doctor instead, as I like the sound of it.

I never knew all this information about anxiety! I thought I was going crazy!

Tomorrow I have the day off, so I'm going to see how I get on, I'm planning on watching a funny film and doing some painting.

Every time a negative thought has gone into my head I have squashed it straight away. X

• Posted

Yes was an awful time - miss them so much.

5-HTP works the same way as a prescribed SSRI does and is apparently than St John Wort.  You can't take them is you take SSRI's.

I can recommend a really good book on 5-HTP if you want ..... explains what it is, how it works in the body, symptoms on low serotonin etc etc.  Interesting.

Yep - not many people do know about anxiety.  So much happens with your body - fear, thoughts, physical symptoms, depression - you just end up going round in circles trying to find an answer.  I read up on it loads and began to understand about it.  When you're in the midst of suffering with anxiety its hard to make head or tail of it, but when you're better you can look at it in a different way and see it for what it really is.

Laughing is good and keepin busy ..... but always in a relaxed way.  Negative thoughts are again part of anxiety, and letting them be there, let them build up and die away then following it up with a positive thought is good.  You slowly give your body the message the positive thoughts.

K x

• Posted

Hi angel, I'm in the same situation too. Have massive anxiety too. We are also trying for a baby and my doctor was happy to put me on these, 10mg. So I think you can take there's when pregnant. 1 in 10 women take them whilst pregnant and there isn't any proof of risks. Are you feeling any better?

• Posted

Sorry that sounds really muddled. I've only been taking them 3 days and my brain is so foggy. Is that normal and does it stop does anyone know?

• Posted

Hi Sarah yes I'm slowly feeling better, however I went on a hen do last night and drank alcohol so today I've felt a bit of anxiety.

I can't wait to be not worrying and living in the moment like I use to. I know it will come back I'm just being patient with myself and taking each day as it comes. How are you feeling?

• Posted

I'm feeling calmer and feel like my heart rate and breathing have eased. I felt like they were abnormal before, over thinking I guess. I'm still feeling anxious though, worrying about being in work next week and the tablets not having kicked in... On day 6 now. I felt like this ten years ago and it did get a lot better so just need to persevere. Hope you're feeling better. I find propanol takes the edge off if I'm really struggling. I wouldn't avoid tablets in case you get pregnant. I came off the pill last Xmas and I'm still not. My doctor says it takes between 12 and 14 months!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.