i have just been diagnosed with nerve pain. and not sure whether to take meds or not?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 31 and after suffering pains with my arms and leg been told I have nerve pain but they are unsure what has caused it. They have offered me a drug called Ami to help me sleep and take the edge of I have been told they can make you feel like a zombie? Anyone have any experience with this pain?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, is that ami as in Amitriptyline?
    • Posted

They have said I can try exercise etc but as I can't sleep at night they have said to try them see if it helps but I am new to this so unsure. If I take them does it get better or will I have to take them forever

• Posted

I take this to help me get to sleep on bad nights

• Posted

What are your side effects do you have nerve problems?
    • Posted

I dont have any side effects from the amitryptyline.  I have peripheral neuropathy worst in feet and legs but also now in hips and groin.  I cant take NSAID except in gel form.  I am reluctant to go on gabapentin as I am afraid of feeling sleepy a lot.  I also sometimes take soluble aspirin even though my doctor does not like me too - it can help on nights when the pain is there but not too bad.  I dont take the amitryptiline every night - only on bad nights.  My doctor said I dont need to take it every night unless I want to -  she will also up the dosage if it gets less effective.  I am very sensitive to medication so I try to take as little as possible.
  • Posted

Sorry, I asked about ami just to understand the full length /type of med it was. When I was in LA in 2010  ther prescribed me gabapentin for my leg pain. In the UU there are a few drugs that can be used on patients with the right physiology. Whilst their primary "known of news" is AD, they do an awesome job at reducing neuromuscular pain. My gags was awesome beyond no shadow of a doubt!!

there are other combo's buy it depends specifically where the pain is, how it is em minuting, your medical health file and sleepiness. I won't list them all in here as I hope people only use the info for approaching a doctor with. If you would like some to approach a GP with, PM me and we can chech ideas from there. Wholly best of luck, I've had intractable (untreatable) neuropathy for over 3years now and one thing works so well, but maybe not for your physiology.

• Posted

Hi Debbie, I suffer nerve pain, i have damaged nerves from having lots of operations on my leg. I have taken Amitriptyline in the past and it's great for getting to sleep, it can make you tired during the day thou. It helps with the pain. I now take Gaberpentin which also helps with sleeping but feel less tired during the day. In my opinion both drugs are good for nerve pain. 

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hi Debbie....I share your descriptive symptomolgy...i have severe neuropathic pain in my arms and legs....result of a severe cfs relapse... i undersatand Amitriptyline works well for some people...i am taking pregabalin, 2 times 150mgs per day and will know in about two weeks how effective that might be...I also take Tramadol (combined with Paracetomol) in a small dose , 50 mgs in the morning, as and when....hope you get some pain relief..i am too unwell to have lengthy conversations at present but hopefully if i improve i might be able to continue in the thread...very best wishe,,Guy
  • Posted

I have CIDP which is Neuropathy.I was diagnosed in2012. It is in my feet. They feel numb but I have no pain. Thank God. My Neuroligist has me take an IVIG infusion every 4 weeks at Hospital. I can't say it is helping but I'm not getting any worse. I have been taking this a little over a year.it seems many people with Neuropathy have some form of pain and I feel sorry for them. I am 78 and I work out at the health club twice a week for about an hour and half and I think that helps. I can't take many drugs as I have reactions to them so I am glad I have no pain.
    • Posted

Hi  I have a progressive neuropathy in both hands and feet, arms and legs abd it is very painful a lot of the time. The neurologist thinks it is small fiber neuropathy and I'm having tests including an MRI and lumbar puncture a week tomorrow to try and establish a possible cause. 

I have suffered with this and RA for four years now. I was prescribed Amitiptyline for 3 years to good effect but it would wear off so I would have to increase the dosage which made me sleepy so took it very early in the night. It gave me heart palpitations latterly so I had to stop. Tried Gaberpentin but had awful side effects. Now taking Duloxetine at a very low dose - so far okay but it hasn't helped with my nerve pain at all yet. Here's hoping! 

• Posted

Amitrip is not to bad at the lower dose end, i have also tried pregablin which does make you go like a zombie. Well it did me anyway
  • Posted

Hi Debbie, I had revision hip replacement last year oct 2013 , when i woke from surgery my foot didnt feel right . I told my doctor but he said this should get better with time well it didnt get better so I was sent to nerve doctor for test . I have nerve damage from surgical site sciatic nerve damage very painful . I have tried gabapentin which didnt agree with me at all I take tramadol everyday go to physical therapy 3x week also have had injections just cant believe this has happened . I have lost my job back on disability and now feeling depressed

Thanks for listening

Jackie

• Posted

Hi Debbie.

I am 24 and have just been diagnosed with neuropathic pain of the visceral region. I've been on gabapentin for about 3 months and find it really helpful. It doesn't completely take away the pain but it means I can work and actually have some quality of life.

• Posted

Hi again Debbie. It all depends on your pain threshold and what drugs you can or can't tolerate. If your pain is severe then you will probably put up with quite a lot to get rid or lessen it. Amitriptyline is non addictive and it worked very well for me as long as I took it early on a night - well before bedtime - so that I wasn't too sleepy the next day. It gave me heart palpitations after about three years on it so I had to stop unfortunately. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.