I have just been handed a FODMAPS diet to follow which really has no detials!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

With most things am I aiming gluten free?

Online says i can hve brocolli but doctors print out says no!

I have no idea about dinners, sauces for con carne etc.

Can anyone help sad

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

I read that you shouldn't be eating fruits but then also read that I should. It's very confusing. I would think sauces might not be that great for you but I could be wrong. It depends on what is in the sauce and if you can handle it or not. 

Have you tried the elimination diet? Take away sauces or any food you're wanting to get rid of for 12 weeks and then reintroduce it back. They say you should start with eliminating fiber first in the process.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My doctor told me to cut out oranges to see if it was causing my stomach pain.   This made me worse and I found when I went back on oranges, my pain, constipation, lack of appetite and nausea got better.  My bowel needed fruit in order to work.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, we are all different and react to foods very differently, IBS and associated probs are very temperamental.. one day you can drink coffee the next it has you running to the loo every 5 mins! My advice is to start on a very bland diet, rice, chicken, fish, potatoes and keep a mental note of what suits you and what sets you off. I have also fasted for a day or two just drinking water to give my tummy/bowels are rest.. It's a minefield with this problem and I have found it to be very subjective... all the best! 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi

I was on the Monash low fodmap diet and now I find out there is another fodmap diet for sibo

It depends which one your doctor gave you

Check the low fodmap diet then the sibo fodmap as both have some different foods.

I found that for 2 weeks if I only had fish chicken no red meat and potatoes pumpkin beans my stools very slightly better.

You can use infused garlic oil - and herbs but no processed sauces. No garlic onions, Definately no apples and watch citrus it affects me

But we all are different. They say avoid eating raw vegetables as it's harder to digest

I have soft stools never one large piece so I have to watch the fibre.

It is very hard but look up recipes cheers

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

See your doctor again and ask to see a dietician.  Some allowed foods on Fodmap are triggers for some and the foods to avoid cause others no trouble. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Look for the real info from Monash university online. Unfortunately Drs know very little on IBS and FODMAP. You need to see a registered dietician who can guide you through the elimination and reintroduction stages.

If you want to PM me I can send you the stuff from the dietician I had.

You will need to make everything from scratch so no pre made sauces etc. No wheat no dairy all meat and fish is ok.

Be aware that just coz something is FODMAP free doesn't mean it's IBS friendly, so you still need to keep a food diary to find out your triggers.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi I know this post is directed at the other person but I'd love to see the dietician notes to see if there's anything else that may help me I just found out the sibo diet is slightly different t again so no potatoes oats rice bread

It's so hard with all the different things and most of the fodmap is acid foods and. Not alkaline so that's a worry

Cheers Rhonda

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Acidic foods tend to be more of a problem than alkaline varieties.  I would stick to the IBS Fodmap diet and assume you have IBS which correlates with your symptoms.  Looking at the SiBO diet as well will confuse you because it is different and you were not definitively diagnosed with it,  You were told that that you have either IBS or SIBO.  I would see a dietician about the IBS Fodmap diet.  I wouldn't bother looking at any other possibilities.  

My mum died in Italy on Monday while we were on holiday.  I thought it would have triggered my IBS but it didn't even though were expecting it since she had end stage dememtia.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up