I have questions on my upcoming hysterectomy.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am having a hysterectomy on March 30. Haven't found out if my ovaries are coming out or not yet. I do know myGYN said I would have an incision.Would you think it better to or not ? I was wondering about doing the stairs afterwards because my bedroom is on an upstairs level.I am a bit overweight so have started to work out in the gym where I work to try to be in better shape  and condition when the time comes for my surgery. 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peggy :

My dr. said if you can LEAVE one or two ovaries.. DO IT... it helps your body.. you don't go into menapause... and she also said ONE ovary acts like two!

I did have all taken , but she left one ovary.. I'm glad.

She also told me.. this might sound crazy... but women think just because they take both ovaries OUT they will not get cancer... YOU CAN! 

I was amazed!

I too have  a bedroom UPSTAIRS.. so what I did was make a "makeshift" bed on my couch... had outfits, night wear, tooth brush, etc... in a nice bag and easy for me to reach... it helped SO MUCH...

YOu have to pull out MANY outfits and plan ahead... also have a pad & pen on a table nearby you... keep track of your meds, and also write any questions for dr.,  when you are healing you will "feel things" and "worry" about things... I found putting them down helped me to remember when I spoke to her on the phone the next day.

I had a 3 part knee surgery done 3 months before the HYST... and I am STILL not in shape sad 

I also teach a dance class part time and I feel HORRIBLE I cant jump into it yet, at 9 weeks.  sad

I spoke to dr. yesterday, I have an appt. next month, and she also said NOSEX yet ... yep... waiting on that, lol..

Hope all goes well Peggy!!!!

• Posted

Thank you Mintdream for your help. Hope things look better for you, too.
    • Posted

You are welcome!  And thank you!  ITs quite a healing process... but I take it ONE day at a time smile

Mary in USA smile

• Posted

Hi Peggy

I had to have my ovaries out as when i was put into a medical menopause on Zoladex injections with HRT my symptoms of severe abdominal pain and swelling disappeared.The only way to ensure the pain didn't return was to have a TAH with BSO on 19th January

Carried on with HRT during and after op so luckily no menopause symptoms ie night sweats,flushes etc.Hints for post op recovery buy or borrow a pick up stick as i drop everything i pick up at the moment and it has been invaluable

I bought a 3 section maternity pillow on a local buy and sell website for £8.00.Two weeks post op i would willingly have paid full price for it. Lastly i have gone upstairs to sleep but struggled to hold onto bannister as needed both hands to hold onto jelly belly😊Bought an abdominal binder which has freed up both hands and i wear a pinny to go to bed so i can carry glasses,medication,lipsalve etc with me and then i use it to bring it all back downstairs in the morning.Write down all the times you take your painkillers as brain goes foggy for a while.Any questions you have please ask as these forums are a godsend.

Finally do all you can to avoid constipation 😞😌as the pain is worse than the op pain.

Sharonx

• Posted

Dear Sharon,

Thanks so very much for your helpful information. This is nice to know. Hope you are doing well at this time. My daughter is coming for the first few days to help me out. Plus my hubby will be around to help also. I don't go she my GYN for pre op discussion until the 3rd of March so I wil have her answer some of my questions for me then. But thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Peggy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.