I have recently been diagnosed with a DVT in my left leg.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had considerable calf pain and found walking difficult. I also have on going knee problems and my GP thinks I've torn the meniscus, probably walking in such a way to help the calf pain. I am now in constant pain in my knee and, with the worry of the DVT, feeling fed up. I've been told that Orthopaedics will not even see me till I've finished my 3 months of warfarin. If my knee doesn't settle and the pain continues to be so intense I'm not sure how I'll cope. I know I am, at some stage, going to need a replacement and probably both knees. I'm 66. Is this DVT going to stop knee surgery or will I be able to have surgery on my knees?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I think you will be able to have the surgery as long as you make the surgeon aware that you have had a dvt as they will be able to treat you accordingly. I'm sure if you're concerned your GP/consultant should be able to advise you.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply. I shall try to see my GP again next week.
  • Posted

You need expert advice. . this is too complicated for the unitiated! I do hope you get some answers, and that the orthopaedic surgeon can see you and explain what should be done.  not just say you must wiat three months.  You need to know . . it;s your knee!
  • Posted

You will have to wait if that's what's been said and it will be done as soon as it's safe .

In the meantime you need to try to focus on pain control and do pre- op Physio lose weight if necessary etc get yourself physically as fit and healthy and as psychologically positive as possible - not easy of course - but with less pain, focus and being busy with a strategy the three months will go more quickly. Worth waiting to be safe - I am sure they will operate but they will be monitoring and ensuring everything is done to reduce risk. If you're worried and able to why not book a private appointment with a consultant and talk through your worries.

• Posted

Hi Jan, I am 22 days post op TKR . I have a blood condition excess factor eight, which means my blood clots within 3 seconds. I have had DVT in 1979 in leg. I made sure consultant and all who ask questions know about it, in turn they order special blood tests with the results they then sort out the injections for thinning the blood, I had two weeks with two injections a day, and have three months of one per day, as others say talk to the man when you see him/ her they will streamline treatment to your individual needs. Hope this helps. X
    • Posted

It's nice to know I'm not the only person with this problem.  It's good to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I hope your TKR recovery goes well.
  • Posted

Insist on an Ultra Sound Scan - I had a similar problem which was initially diagnosed as a DVT. However the Ultra Sound scan showed it to be a badly ruptured Baker's Cyst. Almost identical symptoms but not as serious. The Hospital advised me to discontinue the daily course of injections, and my mobility has substantially improved
    • Posted

I've asked for a repeat Ultrasound, but have been told its not possible. Time to be a little more "pushy" I think.  Pleased to hear your mobility is improving and it must be so nice for you not to have daily injections.
    • Posted

Glad yours turned out to be less serious than a DVT . . I had terrible pain in the calf, spent a night in hospital, and they said it wasn't a DVT . . but never discovered what it was!  
    • Posted

The Hospital should have sent a report to your GP. Make an appointment and insist on seeing the report. It's your health, and you are entitled to be given the information

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.