I have recently been prescribed Livial as an improvement...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have recently been prescribed Livial as an improvement for an HRT product which had been giving me headaches. I am now in my fourth month of use.

I have not found Livial to be very effective in combatting hot flushes or night sweats, only lessening them slightly in severity and frequency.

Over the past few months I have had increasing joint pain and fluid retention (even unable to make a fist first thing in the morning). My ankles and wrists ache and even my toes are stiff. I didn't immediately consider Livial as the culprit but thought I was developing arthritis at an alarming rate at only 57!

I have almost decided to wean myself off Livial as it seems pointless to continue with something that is turning me into an 'old person'. I would be interested if anyone else has experienced this and if there is another solution.

FR

[i:472cbb58eb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:472cbb58eb]

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi FR,

I am 54 years old and have been on LIVIAL for 3 months. I have recently gone back to my doctor as during the 3 months I have had no real relief. I still get hot flushes and am suffering with joint pain, mood swings and irritability, and like you feel like an 'old lady' when I get up in the morning and/or if I have been sitting down for even a short time.

I am now going to go back on to Kliovance. The reason I went on to Livial in the first place was that I was told by my GP that there was less risk of breast cancer than other forms of HRT but as I have regular pap smears and regular breast screening and there is no family history of breast cancer I am going on to Kliovance for 12 months to see how things go.

It was good to read that someone else feels like I feel - you start to think that it's just you or that you are 'just getting old'. Good luck with your health.

[i:ab42f388fb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ab42f388fb]

• Posted

I have only been on livial for two weeks but have already noticed the pain in my hands,like arthritis. I must say it's worrying to see your comments. I too have only noticed a diminishing of the sweats and no increase in libido. I of course thought that I had just no been on it long enough. Now I'm begining to wonder if I should continue.

[i:78a9cee6ea]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:78a9cee6ea]

• Posted

I don't know if this is any comfort to anyone, but I have been on Livial nearly two months. My joint pain started before I took the Livial. Biggest side effect so far is vaginal itching and discharge. Have had TAH and BSO 8 months ago. :cheers:

[i:561d0b7628]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:561d0b7628]

• Posted

Hi FR

Your commente re Livial exactly match my experience. Aged 56 next week tried all sorts HRT since 1997 and tried to manage being off HRT without success. Started Livial 23.6.06 and now suffering from severe joint and muscle pain particularly in feet and hands exactly as you described. Dr did not think it was caused by the tablets but I had my suspicions and glad I found this site. Now have to decide whether to come off and try something else - Dr suggested Minerva coil + oestrogene tablets or patches as required. This would be the 10th solution (?) and it is driving me mad. Tried to do it on my own but very difficult when working and seeing clients etc + the lack of sleep - what can we do!!!!!

Jen :?

[i:f9f809758c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f9f809758c]

• Posted

OH I so empathise with everyone above. I'm 54 have had no periods for 2 years. I've been taking Livial for just 5 weeks, and I've already gained 7lbs!! I have always suffered with fluid retention and take Moduretic for it, but it has become a lot worse over the 5 weeks I've taken Livial. I too wake up with my hands so swollen I can hardly get my wedding ring back on. The sleep problem has not improved and neither has my lack of libido, if anything I think it has got worsesad I really don't like what's happening to my mind and body, so I'm going to see my doctor and stop taking the Livial. Has anyone else made this decision?

[i:d423747e11]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d423747e11]

• Posted

Goodness! I've just found this thread and am so glad. I'm 39 and going through early menopause due to cancer (not breast) and was put on Livial but 5 months on was getting hot flushes and swollen joints and feeling generally aged. Not to mention the weight gain!

Am going on Kliovance so will see how that goes.

[i:b668171926]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b668171926]

• Posted

I am now crying - thats mood swings for you! Thank you for making me realise I am not alone. 44 and I feel my body is dying on me since my hysterectomy and taking livial. I'm coming off it cos I'm sure I would feel better thinner!

[i:60f44056c2]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:60f44056c2]

• Posted

I have been on Kliovance for about two and a half years, it has been great. But recently have noticed a change in my live function and have had abdominal cramps and high blood pressure. I have had twins and carried them for 39 weeks and my blood pressure was normal. I don't consisder myself very overweight, so high blood pressure is not normal for me. I have stopped taking Kliovance and my abdominal cramps are less, my heart rate is dropping..... so I'm just letting you know to be aware. It can have side effects too. I am just about to go to a natural health clinic in Taurunga, New Zealand which prescribes progesterone cream. My doctor has recommended Remifenin, a natural remedy used in Germany. What a minefield!:headhurts:

[i:6eac9df56e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6eac9df56e]

• Posted

Sorry that's Remifemin, I have just read on the packet that it is continually researched and has been used in Germany for over 40 years.

[i:36eba94326]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:36eba94326]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.