I have severe depression but can't afford the meds what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have severe depression and I have had it for awhile... before I was able to get my meds cuz I had Medicaid but no longer do.... my depression worsens every day plz help

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tasha,

Just wanted to say hi, you're not alone. Sorry to hear your depression is severe, it's horrible and no one can imagine or relate as it's so personal. Can't help with advice I'm sorry, though I hope it passes, gaining strength in yourself again soon, could be tomorrow. Personally I'm taking very small steps. Keep posting when or if you feel you want to, listening here.

Rob

• Posted

Hi Tasha, i think that's stink, why do this government think people can just pay for drugs and why is mental health seen as a joke? Can't you see if your doctor's if they can write you a letter to support the fact that you need these medications. I hope you get the support you need, let us know.

• Posted

Hi Tasha, Really sorry about your emotions. I go through this often despite being on antidepressants. Even medications are not magic they work for a while and then it comes back but it is better to do something about it i suppose. If medication is not an option at all then there are other things you can do. Most importantly physical activities are shown to release endorphins which are happy hormones in our body. Try and get out of the house just go for walks or meet with friends and do some physical activity you enjoy. Sometimes getting out or talking can be the hardest thing you can do but it is always worth it. Just call anyone you can talking also helps you dont have to discuss your problems just call any one you have not spoken to for a long time. It is very important to remember it will pass.

I sometimes find having a cold shower helps when i am really desperate and cannot get any help i just have a cold shower . this was recommended in a BBC programme -The doctor who gave up drugs. A must watch you can get it on youtube. There is also an app which i found very useful and is free called Headspace. It is a mindfulness app.

Keep posting on this forum we are always there and we understand very well how it feels to be in your situation. take care and dont give up.

• Posted

I also don't have insurance. Many times if you research it there are mental health clinics that you can go too which operate on a sliding scale fee, which if you have no income its next to nothing for a visit. Also, there are a lot of A/D on the $4 plan at walmart pharmacys and others I believe do it also, I would call around and check. Not sure what area you are from but I hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.