I have to go back to work with HSV2

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there,

Two days ago I went to the clinic and the doctor told me the great news: you've got herpes! Hurray. I was hoping it was just a yeast infection. Learning that it would last for life wasn't fun either. My boyfriend feels really bad because I most probably got it from him. And hes not showing any symptoms, lucky guy!

Unfortunately I don't have a bath tub, only a shower. So what I take for pain relief is Xylocain, it numbs the area hurts like a b* though the first minute or so. But I can't fall asleep with this pain. I considered smoking to ease the pain. Anyway... I have two more days of sick leave, after that I have to go to work and I have absolutely no idea how to handle it. Any advice? Also, does it really take that long to heal? I started medication two days ago but woke up with new blisters which is very frustrating. I know it can take up to several weeks to completely heal. But how long does it take so the pain is over and I can function again (I know everyone is different).

It's good to see that I'm not alone. I wish you all fast fast fast healing!!!!

Lena

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I worked by applying  lidocaine 5 % ointment to the place every time I went to the loo. Basically, I lived with lidocaine in my pocket.  If your chemist doesn't sell it , check with the Herpes Viruses Association.

The other thing I used is paracetamol (with codeine) - a couple of those took the edge off when it was really annoying me.

The doctor cannot be sure you will be well in two days.  You can tell work that you still have "a virus" and cannot work yet.

Good luck - the next outbreak won't be anything like this one.

• Posted

I've been taking ibuprofen plus codeine which has been amazing for the pain. I also asked my doctor for stronger pain killers if I needed and she gave me a script for tramal.

What work do you do? Are you able to stay sitting down? Sitting is much better than walking.

The bathroom is probably going to be the hardest. I've been peeing in the shower which has made a world of difference. Maybe you could take a container full of water in and treat it like a mini bath?

If you can it's probably going to be better to tell work that you're still incredibly sick and not able to come back.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.