I just don't know what to do

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on citalopram 20mg for seven weeks tomorrow and I'm still very up and down with the anxiety. I spoke to my doctor today and he said that I should go up to thirty because if 20mg was going to work for me it would have done by now. I just don't know what to do. I was on 20mg up until last year and I was great on it. I'm just scared of going up to 30mg because I'll get worse again before I get better. Please can anyone tell me if it's normal to still be up and down at this stage.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's still normal ..iam a good example of that..I was real sketchy up until 4 months..

• Posted

Hello Hun I’ve just started on 30mg been on them for a week got a headache and feeling tired the furstb3 days were bed days, but pushing myself to get out, yes gets worse before it gets better we just have to get through this together 💖 keep smiling 

• Posted

Thank you Sophie, it’s a cruel illness and I don’t think anyone could possibly imagine how bad it is until they’ve been through it.xxx
  • Posted

I’ve been on 30mg from 20mg since yesterday. Everyone’s different in what their body can tolerate and what’s right for them...it’s still normal to be up and down at this stage with anxiety, but I’m hoping the 30mg will give me that extra push. Try and rest where you can and look after yourself,  the bad days won’t last forever, you’ve done well to come this far so don’t give up x
    • Posted

Thank you Star, it’s just so hard to know what to do for the best isn’t it. Kate and Lois have advised me the same so I think I’ll listen to them and give it more time at 20mg and see how I go over the following weeks.

• Posted

Oh it is. I’m not looking to increase my dose any further any time soon, I’m going to give the 30mg a fair chance to do it’s job, hopefully that’s all I’ll need. Improvement is a slow gradual process, you won’t notice it at first but it is happening, it’ll be the little things at first, but the little things are the big things that are paving the way for even bigger improvement within yourself. Feeling good for a few days and then having a ‘bad’ day is all a normal part of recovery, don’t be too hard on yourself, just gently accept it and be kind to yourself, reminding yourself that better days are still going to appear! Hang in there, I know you wanted to feel better sooner rather than later, I sure did, but have faith it will happen xx
  • Posted

Hi there I am on 20 mg had a bad start things got better then a few weeks ago had bad 2 weeks rang my doctor he prescribed me another 10mg however after seeking advice from Lois and Katie I decided not to up and am so pleased I stuck it out as feeling good . But could not be the same for every one xx
  • Posted

When you talk about the ups and downs are you referring to the side effects of celexa or are you referring to the initial symptoms of anxiety before celexa????
    • Posted

I’m still very up and down with the anxiety. It comes over me like waves during the day. Family have said that I am making progress but I don’t see it myself as it’s very slow. Also when I’ve had four better days for example I then have a bad day and I feel like it knocks me back again. I’m not sure if this isn’t just part of the recovery process or not.
    • Posted

With the initial anxiety symptoms or the added celexa side effects???or both??
  • Posted

hi Gamma it took me a few different tablets some made me feel like I was going to fall out of bed as it span that much before i went onto Citalapram I'm now on 40mg an life is great I'm in discussion about reducing them to 30mg . But try 30mg as long as they help they wont make you feel any worse

• Posted

Hi Gemma! How are you doing today?

?I would give it at least one more week before moving to 30 mg. Then, I probably would bump it up to 30 mg. to see if that will help.

?I know this waiting game stinks :-(. I'm on week 7 I think of my anxiety returning. I still haven't switched to a different med., and still not sure if or when I will :-).

• Posted

Hi Kelly, the anxiety is still there from about five am until around 9ish and then comes over me in waves over the day and I think the ziploclone helps me to sleep but the doctors have told me to keep reducing it so I don’t become dependent on it. Over the last three days though I have found that the anxiety is getting slightly easier and I e managed to do things that I couldn’t do a week ago. So at the moment I’m going to stick at the 20mg and see how I go like Lois and Katecogs suggested. I keep trying to tell myself that it’s all part of recovery that it will be up and down on the way. I hope that you are doing ok.x
    • Posted

Sorry to jump on this discussion but I've just been prescribed Citalopram 20mg and I'm scared to take it but I cannot continue with this horrific anxiety. I suffer with health anxiety and  it is crippling me. I was on fluoxetine for a good number of years and it changed my life but I felt it stopped working. Can anyone's assure me I will be ok? Thanks Sam x

• Posted

You will be ok..if you take half the dose for a few weeks and then proceed to your prescribed dose it will be kinder to your brain..let your doctor know first..who knows maybe ten will do its job..it did for me..
    • Posted

My problem Sam are because the doctor have jumped me from mirtazipine 30mg to citalopram 10mg and the straight up to citalopram 20mg. My body and head are all over the place and I think it’s just going to take me time to settle down. Lois, Will and Katecogs give out good advice  and I think Lois is right, it’s slowly does it your body just needs time to adjust, we’re all here for you.
    • Posted

That's more than likely why your feeling yucky ..too many changes too quickly...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.