I just had gallbladder laparoscopic surgery two weeks ago, is it safe for me to get back to the gym?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had cholelithiasis.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I would think this is too soon. You need to be careful as your insides take longer to heal than your external incisions. You certainly want to avoid lifting, and you don't want to risk getting a hernia through your incision sites. 

• Posted

No, it's not safe.  External incisions heal sooner than internal.  Internal can take 6 to 8 weeks to heal.  You've had major surgery! If you head back to the gym, you can cause internal scarring and adhesions which could give you pain and negatively affect the way your body functions for the rest of your life.  Please give yourself time to rest and heal.  

• Posted

Someone who posted a couple of weeks ago was actually told by her surgeon that it was ok for her to resume weightlifting. Now all her scars have hernias!

It may look as if your scars have healed, but internally it takes longer. Resuming any kind of fitness regime so soon after surgery is just foolhardy. You have had an organ removed  and you need to give your body time to recover fully.

• Posted

Sorry, your surgeon's either an idiot or a fool.  sad. How do these guys graduate from med school?  

• Posted

I suggest that you report him.  What he told you is extremely dangerous.  
    • Posted

It's quite sad this actually happens. I expected him to tell me that i should wait a few weeks but he told me to go right ahead.

• Posted

I'm glad that you haven't done anything to hurt yourself.  You really should report him.  Doctors like this do so much damage....

• Posted

Hi Flavier, I wouldn't go to the gym for quite some time afterwards. The healing takes alot longer on the inside and you don't want to cause yourself more problems.

I would leave it at least 3 months but even then only do gentle exercise at first to get your body use to it and increase this slowly.

Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.