I just started Citalopram 20 mg, Is it too soon to feel anything?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am not big on medications and I don't usually feel any side effects, I only have a slight headache, but I slept pretty good and I wasn't worried about facing the day, like I normally do.  is this just a placebo or is the medicine working faster than other patients?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have any side effects either, other than slow weight gain.  I felt great after 3 days but I had been on a SSRI before starting the Celexa.  Somebody said its like the stock market, you'll feel great for an amount of time and then you'll drop for a few days, then spike again.  Every time you drop you'll be better than the last time though.  
    • Posted

Thank you, that was helpful. The slow weight gain makes me curious, I'll watch mine closely. I'll wait a few more days before I look for any strong signs. 
    • Posted

It's been a few more days and I've noticed a difference in my relations at work and with my family. The little things that used to dwell in my thoughts have no bearing on my day, like they used to. I walk away from confrontations with those close to me. I've thought of asking them if there's a little pill with their name on it. ha ha, but that wouldn't be appropriate, before I would of told them without thinking. I'm feeling better and I will play it by moment. thanks for the support.
  • Posted

Some people might not feel side effects, but whether you're feeling better because of the placebo effect of because of the medication, at least you've started to feel slightly better! And in a couple of weeks, hopefully you'll feel even better! smile 
    • Posted

I waited a few days to reply, but I think it was necessary to know if it was making a difference in my life. I do feel different and the most noticeable replies come from work associates some of them saying I look smily and happy, and most importantly the one person I could not seem to get along with laughed and talked with me most of the day. thanks for your supporting answers.
  • Posted

If you look for side effects you'll probably find them. I started on 20 mgs , didn't know there were any side effects and luckily , like you I didn't get any.

The slow weight gain makes sense if you think about it. Worry keeps one thinner, reduce the worry...slow weight gain. I suppose the weight gain proves the pills are working. It doesn't happen to everyone though, like the side effects.

• Posted

I stopped looking for side effects and just let it ride. It's been a few days and I think I feel some short memory loss, once or twice, but I'm not worrying about it, my memory has always been bad. haha. My weight is the same, and my appetite is receded, (we have a scale at work) so I do feel better and I'm getting along better with family and workmates, but not so much with the woman I live with or her normal kids, surprisingly the autistic boy seems to be easier to get along with now. Thanks for your supporting reply. Hope to see feedback soon.
    • Posted

It's working! Other people notice the results before we do. Smiley is good!

Sorry to hear that if is not making a difference at home, interesting, you are changing but it sounds as if they don't want to. Autism, I think, makes someone closer to nature so your return to clearer thinking allows you to be closer to him. That and all the other positives are great news I hope things keep improving for you.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up