I just took my first dose of Citalopram 10 mg and feeling very off!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm hoping to get some support on here as I hate taking meds. I started this med at 10mg today and I have a history of anxiety and panic attacks. Taking this med is causing anxiety, and ofcourse I think it's going to end my life!..I am feeling zoned out, and my skin feels hot..is this normal? I'm trying to avoid looking at side effects because if I do I will get everyone of them. I really need this medication. 😞

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am in the withdrawal process after taking it for 10 months. Try not to worry, I know it’s hard. And for me personally, the zoned out feeling was persistent throughout taking it but was much worse at the beginning. 
    • Posted

Hi , thanks for responding! May I ask why you are going off of the medication? I have a very apparent dry mouth and a really zoned out but anxiety feeling.
    • Posted

No problem! I don’t remember getting a dry mouth, but I’ve heard it’s very common. 

I came off because the zoned out feeling never went away for me, and it was the main reason I started the medicine. I also had bad dizziness/vertigo that started soon after taking it, so I figured if i wasn’t happy with how I felt, I should just not take it. That being said, don’t let that freak you out, as everyone responds to drugs differently as I’m sure you know. 

• Posted

Also, I totally relate to feeling nervous when starting the meds. I remember I was so adamant to take it at first because it seemed so scary since I never took drugs like that before. 
    • Posted

Yeah....I took one pill and I am done with this medication! I just dont like the feeling.
    • Posted

Just remember that you are in control. If you don’t like the way it makes you feel there are always other coping mechanisms and other medications. Don’t settle for something that doesn’t make you feel 100%. 
  • Posted

Hi Lori-ann

Beng zoned out and skin feeling hot sounds very much like how these meds can affect you.  It can take a good few weeks or longer in some cases as can affect people differently when they first start these.  Try not to let the feelings scare you and go with it.  Also, keep in touch with your doctor to put your mind at rest, although I wouldn't recommend increasing the dosage until you have settled on the 10mg.  These meds can really work well for people, just keep a close eye on the side effects so not to mistake them for anything else, which is what happened to me, and you will be just fine.

• Posted

Hey Lori-Ann, 

I’m at 10 mg and finishing my 5th month. Yes the dry mouth is a symptom I had and sometimes I still get. Take your pill with food. Try to walk it helps a lot. Yes the sweats and cold come for a little while. Just be positive and YOU ARE IN CONTROL.. I’m doing great with this med. I’m so much more focused and have energy. It was worth the side effects in the beginning.  I took it because I was having horrific panic attacks. Keep us posted of how you are doing.

Will😎

• Posted

Maybe cut the pill in half. I did that for a week and it helped me 
  • Posted

I think it sounds like it’s not the solution for you. Head back to the doctor and try another route 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.