I’m 14 and feel extremely depressed, someone please give me some advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I’m Emily, I’m 14 from the UK and I’m in Year10. I know topics like this are usually dismissed off as hormones and being a teenager but, I don’t know what to do anymore, I feel like I can’t talk to anyone. I’m really shy and very very closed even with extremely close people in my life. I have been feeling this way for a while now and not too long ago I had my first experience of having heart palpitations, of course they’re not as bad as anxiety attacks which I actually have pretty often but as times gone on I’ve realised I shouldn’t be dismissing these things off as just being a teenager. My life is honestly amazing I couldn’t be more grateful. I have lots of supportive people around me including my best friends, my boyfriend and my parents. However, I just feel like I can’t talk to any of them, especially not my mam because she’s quite... awkward?? Like, if I have a problem, of course she helps to me she’s the best mam in the world!!! But if I told her I thought I have depression or something she would say “well I had to grow up...” blah blah blah...you know what I mean? And of course I know there are people out there so so so much worse off than me but I can’t help feeling this way and I always try to push things off. Not too long ago my mam realised signs of my anxiety and she thought it was to do with my worryingly low iron deficiency...but it isn’t and I know it isn’t. And one day I was having a bad day and I said something about it and she said “well I think you’re making it out to be worse than it is” but I’m not. Of course I’m not. I’ve tried talking to her about these things but I don’t think she understands, and to me I know there’s also been bad things happen in my life building up to why I feel like this. Someone please help me out? I just need someone to understand.

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emily, I've had depression off and on since I was 12 (I'm now 35) and like you I had a pretty good upbringing with a loving family and great friends. Turns out other issues you might not even be aware of can affect your mental state. Even now I hate talking about my feelings/emotions etc but something happened that made me talk to my GP and I promise you it was the best decision I ever made. They can't tell your family members or anyone else for that matter (unless they think you are in a severely dangerous situation which it doesn't sound like you are) and the relief alone of saying it out loud to someone is huge, they can give you options of different steps you can take to get over this. Personally I would recomend avoiding medication for as long as possible as there are other things you can try first, and a few years ago I would never have thought I would say this (I actually thought it was pathetic, pointless and for the weak for most my life) but talking to a professional was one of the best decisions I ever made and helped me more than I could ever have imagined. It's so much easier talking to a stranger. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

This means so so so much to me thank you so much for understanding. I didn’t know I could do that!! I knew not to go down the route of taking medication because I do know it can have really negative effects and I know for me, that’s not the way I want to do it. Thank you so much for your help, I’m so relived that someone else goes or has gone through the same because I always feel alone and isolated and in some ways not normal!  Because I think that everyone around me would think I’m crazy. I’ll get in contact with my gp, thank you so much, I really appreciate it smile
    • Posted

You definitely are not alone in how you're feeling and certainly arnt crazy, as you now know there is at the very least this forum to come to when ever you feel the need. I hope all goes well for you at the doctors, and if by a small chance you get a gp that doesn't understand, dont let that put you off. Just make an appointment with another gp. Let me know how you get on if you dont mind. :-)

• Posted

Hi Emily

I think it's extremely mature of you to be able to recognise how you're feeling & seek help. You've done the right thing by being honest but I understand how frustrating it can be when your feelings are dismissed simply because of your age. You know yourself better than anyone else so don't be influenced by others. Is there another adult you can talk to or your doctor? It's best to be completely honest & they can advise you what's best for you & you can always come back here & talk to us x

• Posted

well i'm suffering from brain issues but still that don't make me hold up on anything

though you're a teenager and in the start of your life

its waste to be sad and depressed 

well you're not limited 

its bad to put limits/boundaries at yourself 

be free 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.