I'm 21, have to get my gallbladder removed on 13th, can I fly to Bangkok on 24th of this month?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 21 years old and I had been feeling strange abdominal and lower back pain since a week, but my condition got worse only two days back when I had high fever, vomiting and horrible back and shoulders pain. The doctor derived its a liver infection from the blood tests but also asked me to go for sonography. Sonography tests showed multiple stones in my gallbladder. So the doctor said I have to get my entire gal bladder removed. I can't think of a reason why this happened. Could it be my consumption of alcohol on weekends? Or me being low-weight? Or consumption of spicy and fried food lover the years? Please let me know in the comments below what you think. Anyway, I have been awaiting a Bangkok trip with my friends for two months now. Flight tickets, hotels are all booked and flights are non-refundable. Is it safe for me to go there for a week. (Bangkok and Pattaya) I will be eating outside food/ hotel food but would avoid spicy and greecy food and ofcourse, no consumption of alcohol at all. Please let me know what y'all think.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is major surgery!  What are you thinking?  It will take your body up to 8 months to heal and adjust afterwards.  Travel during this time could lend up in a life threatening  situation. Your doctor should have mentioned this when your surgery was scheduled.  
    • Posted

Yeah you're right. I was driven away by the spirit of travelling by myself for the first time and didn't think about the problem I was facing at hand. I cancelled my tickets anyway. 8 months? Online I read a lazer laproscopy takes about 2 weeks to heal. I need to be able to go back to work within 2 weeks is all.

• Posted

Sorry I was so blunt.  Worried about you. Consider that besides healing, your body will need time to adjust to not having a gallbladder.  Two weeks is not correct.  

Your doctor will not use a laser.  The ducts that are cut usually are sealed with titanium clips. You will have external and internal stitches, usually with surgical glue covering the external ones.  

Your body will have undergone significant trauma.  You are young, but you may find that it takes you longer to heal than you think.  As long as you don't do any heavy lifting, you may be safe to return to work.  But, ask your doctor.  Take care. 

• Posted

Lynda, thank you for being blunt. I needed that reality check. Surgery day after, wish me luck! xx
  • Posted

Hi your health is everything and you need to prioritize  that above anything else, so that you can travel to other places in the future, i understand the excitement  of this opportunity, but i feel you already know the answer to the health concerns that you are going through currently. I would take the adive of the medical professionals and no one else, i hope that things work out soon for you with your heath and remember there will always be other trips, it tough in know but if your jeopardize, your health it will be a lot worse take care good luck smile
    • Posted

Hey Joanne, somewhere I knew but I literally kept living in denial all along. This was supposed to be my first international trip so yeah I was more than excited but well, guess that'll have to wait. sad

Thanks for your kind words! Take care and good luck xx

• Posted

Hi Aditi, i understand your disappointment i feel your frustration i really do, ive been ill myself waiting for gallbladder surgery soon and what ever time in life we end up ill its never going to be accepted or wanted. you have a life time ahead of you, and another amazing trip and others will come in the future and be even better and you will be able to enjoy them in full health what could be better, take care be kind to yourself you only get one body. it needs to last a life time so make sure it always comes first, smile  i felt that in your message we all know what we need to do but sometimes it helps taking to others and strangers more than family. embrace this learning experience even the difficult ones, that's what life is about! keep smiling look at the good things in your life, not what you cannot do but what is possible that's how i get through this x

• Posted

Yeah Joanne you're absolutely correct. I'm trying to look at the bright side but it's difficult. Anyway, I'm most probably gonna be admitted tomorrow and surgery is day after. Pray for me please xx

• Posted

Hi, all best wishes for your operation, thinking of you stay in touch god bless xx
  • Posted

Best to put off travelling till you better. I had a 12 hour attack last year whilst travelling round Central America and being ill whilst away from home is awful and should be avoided at all costs! Sure it is disappointing but best to let yourself recover properly after op. I am four weeks post op and hoping to return to work next week (am 33).

Best of luck with your surgery x

• Posted

I'm pretty certain you wouldn't get insurance to take a trip so quickly after abdominal surgery and that has to be because of the risks the insurers perceive are involved.

My normal insurers don't want to cover me for a trip abroad whilst waiting for surgery and have said I will need a letter from my doc to say I am fit to travel if I want to fly 6 weeks after surgery.

I don't know where you are but UK to Thailand is a 13 hour flight or thereabouts. You won't be healed enough for that to be comfortable never mind running the enhanced risk of a dvt, infection etc etc.

You really need to stick close to home and recover where you can be looked after.

I think you already knew it wasn't a good idea - and bless you it must be so disappointing. But, you need to get well and put this behind you so you can take many fabulous trips in the future.

Good luck with surgery and your recovery.

• Posted

Thanks for taking time to write this message. I changed my mind. Bangkok can wait smile
    • Posted

Best of everything for your surgery and recovery....You can put some of the recovery time into reading a Thailand travel guide and planning a great trip!! Something to really look forward to.

If you've never been I'd recommend you go get a traditional Thai massage at Wat Pho temple or just try the foot massage if you don't have a lot of time. Bliss after a day doing the sights or shopping!

Let us know how you feel after the op and take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.