I'm a young journalist covering human-rights and I love what I do. Why am I feeling depressed?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 22 year old university graduate and I am a journalist in the early stages of my career covering human-rights, conflict and refugee issues. I am working with an artist on a project called Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow that invites refugees to draw their past, present and future lives. I am the Communications Manager for this project and I get to get a lot to new and exciting places. While it's currently a voluntary role, we are getting funding from the UN in the Summer, a salary for myself as a result. It can be emotionally tough work but I feel grateful to be able to work on this great project.

While waiting for funding to be more established I got a job as a waitress at a golf club and was under the impression it was 30 hours per week - as this was what I was told... in fact, it's zero-hour.... I have anxiety about starting new things often anyway so each day at first can be challenging but once I am there it's usually ok. Though in 6 weeks of employment I've had 3 shifts, mainly due to delay in putting me on the rota. I am fully flexible to work and my boss doesn't really try and equally share shifts. There are too many people employed. I feel confused and depressed because I, in theory, don't have a job.

I want to get better and recover from this by working more if I can - my shifts this week were cancelled due to lack of customers. Currently looking for other work at the moment.

Any advice?

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi E_Pennington - I love to write, too. I also spent years in the hospitality profession, which can be a hard job dealing with all sorts of people, even the worst among us. I spent 25 years in that industry from gutter pubs up to five star deluxe. I also worked as a nurse for ten years. I wonder if you would consider being a Nursing Assistant? I don't know where you are living (country) but the global population is aging and there is a need for nurses the world over. It can be challenging, but seeing how others are suffering can alleviate our own issues. As for that company/boss you are currently with - I'd walk away. No point in being side-lined when you need to earn a living.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.