I'm almost off of mirtazapine and carbamazapine,my depression is very severe now.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,I have had a very hard 8 years between coming off klonopin after being on for 16 years then getting c/t by my docter back in 2008,and I am still not well,then I had to get off other meds like lunesta back in 2010,then I needed up tapering most of my carbamazapine and then last year I decided to taper the mirtazapine on my own very slowly,and not to mention menopause on top of everything else,I can't even walk right,my balance is terrible,I am lightheaded every day,my depression has been excruciating,to the point where if someone even looks at me wrong,I will have a meltdown over it,I feel like my confidence,which I never had anyway,and self esteem have been effected by all this,and I am starting to wonder if I have brain damage,because I can't remember things anymore like I used to,and I can't make simple decisions anymore,I feel like I am brain dead and better off not existing anymore. My docter asked me to start the carbamazapine twice a day,but I don't know if I should,I am afraid to,because of going through WD again,however I cannot deal with the depression anymore either. Can someone please help and give me some advice on what to do from here on? sad sad sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Oh you poor thing! What a lot for you to be going through. You mention the menopause; are you taking anything for that? Are you on HRT? This can really help with mental slowness and fatigue. It does sound as though you are not ready to come off the anti depressants yet. Is there a reason why you want to come off the mirtazapine? I'm afraid I don't have any experience of carbamazapine to offer you as I've never been on it, but I do know you have to be very careful coming off of mirtazapine and do it very, very slowly. Some people use the liquid version so that they can taper down one mg at a time.The recommended method for withdrawing from any anti depressant is 10% per month. This is VERY slow, but some people need it to be this slow. It is a good starting point, then you can work out if perhaps you could do it faster.
    • Posted

The most recent research shows that HRT does not increase your chance of getting cancer. If there are more doctors at your practice then I would make an appointment with a different doctor, preferably female. Why are you on the carbamazapine?
    • Posted

I am almost off of carbamazepine,I tapered most of it,I was put on it for mood,years ago in 1992 after having a breakdown.

• Posted

I feel for ya Kristine

I have been going through a similar hellish experience with too many ADs to count.  My problems all started with Klonopin(a benzodiazapine like carbamazapine which I only took for sleep but of course got addicted to it) and venlafaxine back in 2008. I strongly believe that benzodiazapines like  carbamazapine can only cause severe heartache eventually.  They are for short term only(less than 3 weeks give or take).  If you take carbamazapine for anxiety only occasionally thats one thing but if you will take it daily, thats a new problem.  I weaned myself off Klonopin over a 6 month in period in 2014 only to have to reinstate it 6 months later after having to stay in hospital psych with severe anxiety and depression. I have colitis and can't get off the Klonopin because I feel like I'm going to die when I try to stop. My point is that benzodiazapines are the most evil and powerful meds.  Why is the doc giving you carbamazapine.  For anxiety, depression or both? I feel your fear of the eventual withdrawal and can only sympathize with the depression.

• Posted

Hello how r u? Thanks for replying,I took carbamazapine which is an anticonvulsant that's used for modd stabilization,I took it for moods and anxiety,but I am almost off of it,I only take 50mgs now compared to 800! I now take zyprexa as needed,my docter wants me on it every day,but I said,no. I am done with standing orders,I am tired of going through withdrawal after withdrawal,even though it is very hard. I am also on a tiny dose of mirtazapine,I am almost off of that to. I also screwed up the other night by having a tiny sip of homemade wine,my WD came back stronger and I was already having a tough time before that. I am not well right now because I have been overdoing it by doing to many things and not taking time to relax,now I got setbacks. How long have u been on klonopin for? I was on it 16 years and I abused it for 12 of thosevyears like an idiot,now look what I done to myself! I also drank for a lot of years and smoked pot on it to,no wonder why I am possibly permanently I'll. I hope not,but I think I am. sad
    • Posted

Sorry Kristine but carbamazapine is apparently not a benzodiazapine.  I googled it and the first hit that came up said it was but that is incorrect so sorry about my confusion
    • Posted

I was on Klonopin 2mg for 5 years, off for 6 months and then back on now for 10 months. It doesn't really help with anything anymore but I can't stop taking the awfull stuff.  I never abused it but still got addicted.  How much Klonopin were you taking?
    • Posted

I wish I was only on it that short amount of time,if I were u I would taper now instead of waiting many years later! U will be suffering like me the longer your on it,the worse it will get! Please take my advice,save yourself the hassle! Do this while it's still early in the game,don't wait 10 or more years,it will be almost impossible by then. sad
    • Posted

I'm dealing with a colitis flare up right now so can't risk anymore troubles.  The 1mg of Klonopin I'm on now doesn't help me so I am suffering severe anxiety and depression and don't have the strength to start a taper now but hopefully soon.  I plan to switch to valium and use a milligram scale to micro cut the tabs.  Pretty sure I'm looking at a protracted withdrawal in any case and that frightens me! Good luck to us all with our journey to recovery.
    • Posted

Hello hope all is well with u,I just stopped the small dose of carbamazapine,and the depression seemed to lift a little,sleep might be a bitch for a while but,now I hardly take anything,except for this tiny piece of mirtazapine that is so small it isn't even therapeutic! Plus I take zyprexa only as I need it,that's it. I am done with standing orders,that carbamazapine was making me worse.I am practically off mirtazapine to. I wish u luck on your journey by the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.