I'm at the end of my rope with my GB

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm a 22 year old female. I have had pain in my upper right quad for about 2 weeks acompanied by nausea. It got so bad I went to the ER. The nurse right off the bat listened to me and said sounds like your GB.

ER PA agreed, we did labs - elevated LFTs. Everything else normal.

US of my abdomen was done and nothing remarkable. Her best guess is it's spasming. I was told follow up with PCP they've done all they could do in the ER.

I followed up with PCP and she said yup, it's your GB. She sent me for a HIDA with CCK. I had some cramping witht the CCK injection but nothing crazy. I got a call from my PCP nurse saying it's normal.. follow up with GI.

I called GI today and after hearing my lovely symtoms the girl scheduling booked me for next week but let nurses know what's going on. A nurse called me back saying come in Thursday of this week. While I had her on the phone, I told her what's going on and asked for me HIDA EF... I was surprised to hear 71.9% from what I know anything above 60% is hyperactive. Can someone confirm? I was assured I would probably be sent to a surgeon regardless of numbers -- sludge isn't seen well on anything according to GI nurse.

Symtoms:

Pain LOCALIZED at my GB. Worsened with food especially anything fatty. Pain will start 45 min - 1 hour after eating and the episodes will last for a couple hours. Dull ache with a few "spasm" like pains here and there.

I burp.. A LOT.

Elevated LFTs - all other lab work normal.

Pain will sometimes radiate up the line of my ribs and back.

Tired.

Nausea.

Family history. (mother, maternal grandparents and great grand parents)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I just had mine out so let me tell you my symptoms and see if it sounds similar my lower back would start hurting then under my breasts then my stomach and side it felt like huge pressure coming down on me my pain would get so bad I'd vomit and felt like I couldn't breath when they did my MRI the saw all the stones well they did my first surgery and my liver enzymes were still high so they did another surgery with the camera going through my mouth and found sludge and removed it but after that my enzymes were still high and I had to stay a few days they finally went down enough for me to go home .

• Posted

Hi, even with a lower from 35-70 which is classed as normal you can have gallbladder problems, the surgeon needs to hear your symptoms and then decide. My hida scan was only 14% so an easy decision but as long as all the pain is coming from the gallbladder. They explained to me that they didn't believe all my symptoms were from the gallbladder and they were correct, after having it out in March I still have pain and they believe my stomach isn't emptying properly, as my doctor said you gallbladder is slow so your stomach could be the same plus I've got nerve entrapment.

If your relatives have had problems in the gallbladder department then I expect he'll suggest to take your gallbladder out becuase of your history.

It certainly sounds gallbladder related but I had alot of other tests before the hida scan to exclude other things as they give very similar symptoms. I'm in the UK so things are done differently over here.

Let me know how you get on. Take care

• Posted

I haven't been back to my doctors yet for the stomach emptying but from what I've read its diet related, in that they advise to eat several small meals rather than 3, foods such as beef, rice and brocolli are hard to digest so only eat small amounts and make sure that you chew your food properly, fresh fruit and veg can be difficult to digest such as skins on apples and oranges also make sure you don't lie down too soon after eating in the evening, perhaps go for a walk or sit up for a sometime afterwards and the nerve entrapment I've got to go and have injections in the nerve site which I'm waiting on. Unfortunately they are both lifelong conditions but they can be treated.

I believe that once my nerve entrapment has been treated then that'll ease gastroparesis as they are both nerve related. but its early days for me so I don't know all the details yet.

Are you having problems? 

• Posted

I had my GB out 2015. Have had pain problems every since under rib and back. So frustrating. I've had injections, SOD surgery, physical therapy, chiropractic and massage therapy, orthopedic surgeon. I have less pain than last year. Massage has been the best.

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder out in February of this year after putting up with the pain from gall stones for 2 years. I couldn't eat fatty foods or anything spicy or couldn't have mayonnaise or gravy either. Stay away from all the fatty greasey foods and the spicy foods. When my GB acted up I was told to drink glass of cold water, that helped with the pains. Whole wheat bread and skim milk helps also. Bake your meat if you have some like, chicken or pork.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.