I'm Considering Giving In....

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hey guys,

Ok, so earlier last week, I had posted that I had a very bad attitude regarding medication and treatment for my millionth episode of diverticuliis.  I had previously stated that I flat out refuse to take meds this time.  I meant it at the time... and was feeling pretty empowered for a few days... but alas... good old diverticulitis is really really wearing me down.  I don't feel well, I have fevers, I have bloating, and general feeling of unwellness.  I have OOODLES upon OOODLES of medications in my closet... but the last prescription was for Levaquin.  I have heard many scary terrible stories about this medication, which is why it's chillin on my nightstand instead of in my belly.  I can't go back to my doc with complaints, because honestly, I haven't followed their medical advice at all this time.  I am so so so tired of living like this.  I am sooooo tired of meds and pills and iv's and pain and bloating and fevers... it's a never ending cycle.  However... through this experiment on my own body, I do feel that the diverticulitis is progressing this time unchecked...   My question is.... would you guys just go ahead and start the med even though every single review has horrifying side effects?  OR- would you bite the bullet and go back to GI for yet another CAT scan to see how bad it has gotten?..... I have already been told that a surgical consult is in order for bowel resection consideration...but that's weeks away.  Suddenly, .... i'm not so "big and bad" with an S on my chest today....:-(

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    If it was me I would go see the GI and see how bad it is then make a decision. I have only ever taken antibiotics amoxicillin with penicillin so don't know much about other meds. But from what I have read on here the side effects aren't good. Here in the U.K. They don't often do bowel resection I think you have to be on your last legs. Good luck x

    Report
  • Posted

    Since you have a fever, I would throw in the towel and go see the doc.  Only you can decide if you have the surgery or not - unless the decision will be made for you if it's something more serious than previous flares.  

    I insist on Amoxicillin - will not take the Flagyl.  I thought I was losing my mind when I took that.  When I insisted on the Amoxicillin, the doc did not push back and say no, that won't work.  

    Report
  • Posted

    Yeah, the fever isn't a good sign. I took flagl cypro combo and I was nervous. I've been told my lingering pain may be continued symptoms from them! If it were me, I'd probably follow the recommended protocol if for nothing else it satisfies the Dr's and the Ins. companies protocol so if you need surgery there isn't any pushback. I've spoken to two people who had surgery and though it was a bear and inconvenience (tube feeding and bags...) they are very happy with the outcome and their lives are back to normal albeit with a little less intestine or colon. Gas X anyone?

    Report
  • Posted

    Sorry you are  suffering so much.  I am not a doctor so my advice should be considered to come from a fellow sufferer.  If I were you I'd taket the medicine  and  go back to  the doctor. I am guessing you are not in the U.S.A.  because surgery is usually recommended in severe cases.  I am having surgery next month.  I have had 6 attacks since June 2016.  I did take meds each time and it cured it.  My reason for having the surgery is my  great fear that my colon could rupture and I'd wind up with a colostomy. I really hope you can get a handle on this. Good

    ?luck.

    Report
  • Posted

    I just came back from a consultation with a surgeon. He explained a lot to me. I have had lots of attacks during the last 10+ years. Around two to three a year. I am treated with Cipro and flagel for 10 days. My attacks are getting severer pain all over the abdomen. I most recently was hospitalized for three days and given IV antibiotics. It took me until most recently to feel ok but not perfect.

    He said I must get more fiber as in Metamucil and more as in 7 glasses at least of water every day. You need to flush out the bowel with fiber and water.

    He told me as long as I have not had any abscess he thinks that depending on if this disease is affecting the quality of life he would not have it. He said the risks are about the same with surgery and without. I thought he would want to do a colonoscopy but since I had one 1 1/2 years ago he didn't think I needed one now. He looked at my Ct scan that was fine while I was having my attack and said he felt it was a typical attack.

    So to make this which was a long story to end. Take the meds. Drink a lot of water. You do not want an abscess. And make sure you take fiber supplement everyday.

    Report
  • Posted

    For what its worth. I have a mild dose of this illness. I've decided at this stage diet might be my answer. I've gone Paleo. Might seem silly but may I suggest you read a book by an American Doctor. its called How not to die.. Changed my approach totally to what goes thru my colon. Lost 10 kilos without trying and my meds for BP has already been reduced by my Doctor. I have been trying to drink more water at meal time and up my intake of chilli and similar spices.

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up