I'm getting some relief

Posted , 6 users are following.

I just want to share incase this helps others.

I have silent acid reflux from medication I'm on.

Never heard of silent acid reflux... Anyway, I'm finding some relief, meaning the gurgling in my esophagus is not as bad and regaining some taste back.

2 oz Aloe Vera juice before I eat breakfast.  I hold my nose when I drink it then swish mouth with water to remove icky taste from aloe. I'll drink another 1 oz during the day.

Also, after a meal I'll take 1 capsule of Camomille. Not taking religiously, but when I think of it.  

And and I notice if I lie on my stomach when I feel the irritating gurgling in my esophagus start, it seems to subside. 

I avoid acid foods (most of time) and fat and mostly eat just meat and veggies and good fats, but the medicine doesn't care, but guess I'd be worse if I ate "bad" foods. 

Take care. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Aleo juic I will try.  Same with me when it comes to food.  Meat, veggies good fats, fruits.  No more crackers or any processsed food. Lots of cold water.
  • Posted

"Silent Reflux" and "Laryngo{haryngeal Reflux" (or "LPR" ) are terms originallty coined by Dr Jamie Kauffman to describe what is properly termed "Extra-oesophageal reflux" (She now suggests a better term is "Respiratory Reflux". ) What we usually think of as reflux is material from the stomach passing back through the lower oesophageal sphincter into the oesophagus. If this carries acid ( "acid reflux" ), it can cause oesophagitis (which may be experienced as heartburn) and permanent damage (Barrett's Oesophagus) which can mutate to cancer. That;s why those with acid reflux are prescribed acid suppressants.

However, reflux can continue full column where it can breach the upper sphincter (the cricopharyngeus) and aspirate into the airways where it can do further damage including bronchitis, pneumonia and bronchiectosis.

Go to www DownWithAcid org uk and scroll down the contents list (home page) to find the chapter in the reflux section on "Extra-oesophageal reflux" .

Aloe Vera and Chamomile act as demulcents - a soothing balm that may relieve symptoms of acid reflux but not actually reducing the reflux itself.

The acidity or alkalinity of foods makes no difference since their strength is negligible compared with stomach acid.

Fats, however, do not break down in acid (oil and water don't mix) and may require some bile to be permitted to enter the stomach to act as a detergent to assist the acid in breaking the fats down. Fats remain longer in the stomach being churned with excess acid being sprayed on ineffectively leading to greater risk of acid refluxing.

• Posted

Did you get your problems because of PPI?

​And how long did you take this medicine? You quite I assume? How long ago did you quit?

​I think I have the same problem. Quit 4 weeks ago with PPI...very slowly I see some improvement.

• Posted

No I refuse PPIs.  I'm on Prednisone for inflammation. The Prednisone causing me the reflux unfortunately.

Barrets...you scare the hell out of me.  Not fair I cant stop taking the prednisone to heal my stomach.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.