I'm going to go onto HRT

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ladies, i haven't had a period for 5 months ..I've been using sage for the last 2 months to help with hot flushes and night sweats they have helped a bit however it's all the other symptoms...Mood swings , aches and pains lack of labido etc that are setting me back ....I've made an appointment with a lady doctors to discuss HRT ...Im 55 work full time as a manager in a busy stressful job ..The Symptoms are making it very difficult at work ...I can be talking mid sentence loose track ( most embarrassing) with the hot flushes people think I'm in a mood ..I feel a bit of a failure as i said i would not have HRT and understand when i stop taking it the symptoms will return however my work and home life are compromised...When i had periods i said i was fed up with them and wished them to stop....With HRT do you always get periods return ? I would appreciate some views on this matter

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm sure you won't get periods back, I was seeing an odd period when given HRT these stopped. I have not had a period since taking HRT. I had the symptoms you have experienced not good. Since being on HRT i have felt so much better, not long been on these lower dose new ones but i hope to soon feel back to how i was( ( Sympton free ) Hope this helps x

• Posted

Thank you...Yes it does help ...I don't feel like me at the moment 😮

• Posted

Ah no you won't, i didn't either. I honestly could not beleive the change in how i felt after 2 to 3 weeks on them. Quality of life & how you feel is so important smile. x

• Posted

I haven't had a period for 10 years I've just turned 50. I've been on hrt patches for 0 months and they have helped, but a freind of mine was on hrt for 5 years and just come off it and all she as got back is the hot glushes. Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Penny,

So sory you're with this group.  Menopause is just a barrel of laughs, isn't it?  

I get it that you don't want periods to return and there are ways around it.  First off it is the estrogen that stimulates the uterus to grow a lining, while progesterone keeps it thin.  That's what you are trying to do, keep the lining of the uterus thin, thus preventing possible uterine cancer.  With appropriate progesterone therapy, your risk of uterine cancer is nill.

So with HRT, you can go with two forms of treatment.  The first is called cyclical.  With this form of HRT you take estrogen every day, and progesterone for 14 days per month.  When you stop the progesterone a period will occur. 

The second form is called continuous.  In this form of HRT you take both estrogen and progesterone every day.  You get the estrogen, but the progesterone keeps the lining f your uterus thin and no periods result.  There are times when it would take a couple months, and some women do have some intermittent bleeding until your body adjusts.  

For women who have found a good HRT fit, they normally feel very good and wouldn't consider doing with out their HRT.  But I will mention that finding the right combination can take some time, and at times, be very frustrating.  For other women it kicks in quickly and they feel really good fairly soon.  It all depends on your system, how your body accepts the hormones, etc. 

Goodluck, I do understand why you are considering HRT as aan option.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.