I'm guessing this is normal.......

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, not been around much lately as the dark clouds have been hanging around a bit too much......

Anyway, I realised a while ago that much of what we experience post TKR is the norm......so I'm just checking - I'm 9 weeks out, and I've started to experience a real sore stiffness in the back of the knee, going down into the top of the calf muscle.....I'm putting it down to different muscle groups coming back into use, but would appreciate others thoughts on it........

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm 11 weeks and the stiffness at the back of the knee is what i struggle with the most lately. It's definitely muscle related, in my case at least. The day after a physio session I always end up with a lump in the area. My PT said its because I'm working that muscle more than its worked in years (my leg hasn't straightened for years before op) It's difficult and painful but the more I massage it, the better it feels.

My calf is also hard and painful. Again this is because the muscles are getting used to being used again. The more stretching I do the better that gets (that pain has almost gone over the last week). The best stretch I've found for this is hanging the heal of the operated leg off the edge of the bottom stair (so you're balancing on the ball of the foot). You'll need to hold on as you let your body weight go through the leg. Hold it for 30 seconds. You should be able to feel the calf really pull and stretch.

You also need to remember to stretch out the thigh muscles too.

I was told that the more I did these, it would help loosen up the muscles and therefore be less painful. It is certainly better than it has been so the idea is working for me.

• Posted

Thanks Kathryn, I had wondered about doing that particular stretch you mentioned, as it feels as though everything is "bunched up". Im definitely going to incorporate it into the other ones I do, see if it helps. I have to agree, also, that the muscles are working in different ways, and much harder, than theyve had to do for a long time, so its bound to take its toll I suppose......
  • Posted

Hello Terri. I'm getting this too.  I'm 8 weeks post op and it's the thing that is bothering me the most right now.  At least on here eye can find out that it's normal or not eh.  I hope you start to feel better soon.  I'm on countdown to going back to work, seems impossible the way I feel right now!  X
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Elaine, I never thought Id be thankful for being made redundant last month, but at least I havent got to worry about the return to work.....Im allowing myself some time out (especially as Im facing a TKR on my other leg in the next few months eek ) before launching myself back into the rat-race.....not had to job-hunt for 25 years, so that should be fun......

I hope that it goes well for you, at least youve got us all on here to rely on xx

• Posted

It wouldn't hurt to mention it to your PT. I had something similar, but I felt it almost immediately after surgery. It felt like a knot or something that hurt terribly. If I put heat on it, that helped, but I was told heat was not good for the healing of the knee. I would massage it and the PT had me do some other stretches to loosen it up. It seriously took months. But stretching it really did make it feel better.
    • Posted

Hi there, I remember in the very early days after surgery I had the same knotty feeling you described, my Physio said it was just things reattaching themselves....seems to be the answer to most things! Funny that I only just remembered that, it must have just worked itself out with the physio exercises. 
  • Posted

Snap to your details,, I hope its the different muscle groups, seeing a Doc on Monday about diabetes blood results so will havea chat with him and physio Tuesday.  As we are all in the same boat will report back.
    • Posted

Hi Hazel, it would be good to hear what the Physio has to say about it, Im on a temporary break from Physio at the moment, I have an assessment in 2 weeks to see how Im getting on without it, but I think I'll probably give them a call before the appointment and see about restarting it, Im really missing it.....
  • Posted

Same thing here. Eight weeks post and I have stiffness and achiness all night. Just things coming back to life I think. At least I hope. Burning is almost gone and I can feel both sides of my knee when I touch the skin. 
    • Posted

Snap Sherri! The numbness is all but gone (SUCH a relief as I had no feeling at all on the outsied of my leg from mid-thigh to ankle for 5 days after surgery!). Its such a shame that as we get better in some ways, there is something else just around the corner! And it has to be at night!!
    • Posted

Lucky you!  I'm still numb from top of thigh down to just below the knee . . no sign of it going at 17 weeks!  I think it may be permanent now,.
    • Posted

I was told numbness can take 6 months to go and not to worry - I only have a small patch on the outer side of knee. So hopefully your is not permanent at 17 weeks. I am watching you carefully as I am only a couple of weeks behind you. 

• Posted

I hope you are right!  Actually, the numbness doesn't really worry me that much . .if it is permanent, wlel, it's better than pain isn't it!!!  the nerve pain is still a bit annoying . nothing like it was at the beginning, but still a bit aggressive at times!  I have a box of Lyrica from the neurologist, but haven't tried taking it yet. . already take nine tablets a day . . . It's like a chemist's shop here!
  • Posted

Yes Terri I wss the same. I had a really good physio session and experienced this muscle pain afterwards. As doctor simply said "Don't worry, good work, keep it up."

Hope other things are settling down for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Love Sarah xx

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, its so difficult to balance isnt it, a really good session leads to more pain, but if we dont do enough then we end up with a different type of pain! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.