I'm guessing this is normal.......

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, not been around much lately as the dark clouds have been hanging around a bit too much......

Anyway, I realised a while ago that much of what we experience post TKR is the norm......so I'm just checking - I'm 9 weeks out, and I've started to experience a real sore stiffness in the back of the knee, going down into the top of the calf muscle.....I'm putting it down to different muscle groups coming back into use, but would appreciate others thoughts on it........

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You guys are the best! Ive been a bit silly, not coming on here as much, because Ive been feeling so down (lots of other bad  things going on at the moment, including being diagnosed last week with probable Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in both hands, for which Ive got to undergo investigations, tests, ands worse case scenario is surgery...) As soon as I come on here, Im reassured that the niggly, unusual things that are happening due to the TKR are actually normal, and we are all practically Textbook! The timeline in particular fascinates me, as although we are all different, and we all have very different knees, we seem to hit the same hurdles at the same point....

Just talking about it to people who understand is cathartic, and makes me feel like theres a light at the end of the tunnel - although it seems to be a ruddy long tunnel and a very dim light! 

TKR - THE GIFT THAT JUST GOES ON GIVING!!

• Posted

I had carpal tunnel in both wrists. Surgery one month after the other. It is a piece of cake compared to the knees. But still, who wants to think about another surgery. At a little over three months I had an umbilical hernia and had to have surgery again! It was during that hospital stay that the nurses saw all my hair loss. I lost 1/2 my hair from the stress of the knee surgery!!!
    • Posted

Hi terri my husband has had both wrist operated for carpal tunnel syndrome. . and it really isn't much to worry about!  and here speaks someone who believes you should tell people the truth, and not pussy foot around!  OK it wasn't me, buyt I know my husbands, and I know he would have been complaining bitterly if it was painful . . Of course, it's annoying. . .for a few days it does make things a bit difficult, as tghe wrist and hand are bandaged. . . but it you are losing feeling in your fingers, maybe getting pain in the wrist and arm at night, then it's worth having it donw before the damage is permanent!  Because that is what can happen if you have carpal tunnel syndrome, and leave it  for a long time.  After a TKR it really is a walk in the park!
    • Posted

WHOOPs I meant husband. . .I only have one, honestly!

• Posted

Haha are you sure? Needed a laugh, thanks! 

And thanks for the reassurance about the CTS surgery, I was starting to build it up into some horrible, scary prospect. But as its sometimes taking me up to half an hour to regain the feeling in my hands in a morning, I didnt feel i could - or indeed should -  delay any longer. 

• Posted

I think you are right. the pressure on the nerve will finally destroy it, and it will be too late to get the feeling back. .  It takes several months (in my husband's case) to get the feeling back, so don't be disappointed if it isn't immediate!  He couldn't do buttons up on his shirt . . or any careful work . . .and at night the pain in his arms was keeping him awake.  the test they do is not bad either. They do insert a sort of blunt needle . . but it doesn't draw blood or anything like that!  I;ve had it done on my legs, and on the head . . Not so nice on the head..but still nothing really bad!  Quite typical if you have low thyroid. . . . 
    • Posted

I had both my carpal tunnels done at once.  Easy peasy, particularly compared to BTKR.  It was lovely to sleep without pain in my arms keeping me awake half the night.
    • Posted

Hope things improve for you soon Terri, you were very supportive of my concerns and worries just befor and after my tkr,so its good to know that we can now try and support you. You are right we never know what little suprise our knees will give us from day to day ! best wishes to you
  • Posted

Yes same here. Hydrating cream helps plus all the stretching execrcises. I've just come through three weeks of it but feel as if might be easing off and will be 15 weeks this week
  • Posted

Hi Terri,  I am nearly 7 weeks post op. And yesterday, after doing really well, I went down with a bang.  As you described, stiffness and aching.  So frustrating, just when you think you are on the way up.  I have a bakers cyst on the back of my knee. I just wondered if you have the same think.  There is nothing to be done about it anyway. Time, apparently will heal it.  Good luck and stayed tuned, it really does help doesn't it?    
    • Posted

h when you know you are doing the worki suez, I hope you are back on the up. It seems we all hit the brick wall at regular intervals. It is easy to become despondent, the road is indeed very long, take care and best wishes to you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.