I'm probably way too sensitive to Mirt? (+ intense night hunger)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! Adjusting doses between 3.75 to 30 mg didn't seem to give me any mayor adverse reactions, but going from 3.75 to 0 makes my life to a living hell for a while... Some time ago I regularly took 15 mg which I then tapered down to 0. After the initial complete terror I felt like crap for a few months.

I was Mirt free for a year but eventually got problems falling asleep. I found the solution to my sleep problems was eating tiny crumbs of Mirt. About 0.5-2 mg made me really tired and gave me a good nights sleep, it was crystal clear; eat a tiny crumb - sleep well, eat no crumb - hard to fall asleep.

Eventually the sedating effect of these low doses ceased and I have been trying to quit this TINY dose of Mirt multiple times but that just makes me feel like crap. Is there anyone else who is this super sensitive??

And then to my last question. I've been having these intense hungers at night time lately which I also have experienced periodically in the past and I believe Mirt might cause this... I eat okay during the day and take my Mirt at about 9-10 PM, but then often at 11-12 PM I get so hungry i can't sleep. I just eat anything I can come across and it's really hard to cease my hunger. And as if this wasn't enough, I can only sleep for 6 hours and then I wake up and have to rush to the kitchen for food. Note that this only happens periodically over periods of weeks and when it does, I only get these cravings night/morgning. Sometimes hunger is paired with light anxiety, but I don't know "which one is the chicken and which one is the egg". Anyone with a similar experience?

Thanks!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi coble.    mirtazapine  works has a nerve and muscle  relaxer which probibily explains the feelling of being crap and the battle of coming off mirtazapine all together and falling back into a unrestful nights sleep .  the super sensitive you talk about or withdrawal of mirt does have a impact on everybody that take mirt then trys to come off it bringing the light anxiety back but i will say that i have been on mirt now for 3 years for my condition and mirt is something that your body get use too when i was on 15mg sleep patterns was 10 to 11 hours a night sleep patterns changed again to 7 hours  and the doses just went up . mirt also makes you put weight on and give you them i am hunger feelings you get on mirt . hope the info is of good to you and wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Cobble.I don't know how much I can help you because I'm a Mirt "newbie",10 weeks at 15mg upped to 30mg for 5 weeks.I lost about 60 pounds since last October because of bad IBS problems(although I've haven't lost any for about 1 1/2 months).Along with IBS I have anxiety and depression so they switched me to Mirt after having taken Paxil for 20 years.Also I am taking Gabapetin for pain/nerve blocking.I have noticed I'm hungrier since starting Mirt,but of course I hadn't been eating much for awhile so it could be that too.I do want to eat more but if I eat to much for a couple days my IBS "attacks" me so I have to be careful.I definately think Mirt does make you hungrier though.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Yes same here my appetite is huge since starting on mirtazapine 2 weeks ago. I too get woken by rumbling tummy and need to go and refuel a couple of times during the night 1am.3am and 5am usually I eat crap whatever is there basically.

I've always been on the slim side I'm going to start a weight diary I don't want to end up looking like Mr blobby😄

• Posted

Hi Cobble, YES I'm extremely sensitive to Mirtz as well. I was initially put on 15mg but immediatly couldn't take that much. I was then given 7mg and only took half, but didn't like the weight gain, so I ended up with compounding pharmacy making liquid potion for me and I have been dropping dose every since. Now i'm between 1.875mg to 1.25%. Its amazing to me that this small dose even does anything, but 1.25-1.5mg does it's work and helps me sleep. This medicine was a godsend for me - because when i started with it 1 1/2 years ago, i had extreme anxiety and depression. Could hardly leave the house. So it has helped me. I don't get any anxiety anymore. I don't know if getting off completely will continue to have any benefit or not as i haven't tried. I will continue to take this microdose, and not sure what i am going to do. My main concerns are water retention, and now I am prediabetic. So will go on Metformin soon. I have gone back and forth with weight since I don't have a thyroid. So currently I am experience low thyroid symptoms. But my Dr watches me very closely so that I don't go the opposite way - and thus avoid that anxiety hell i had for several years. Its a daily battle but again, I am still grateful to be at a much better place than i was before Mirtz. I keep reminding myself of that everytime I complain about the Mirtz symptoms. Wish everyone good health

• Posted

I am also having a dilemma with mirtazapine.  It has been the only a/d i have been able to tolerate and even then at only 7.5.  My anxiety and depression are not better yet.  Yesterday Psych said i need to get up to 15mg and has added small dose of olanzapine to 'help'.   I am concerned this will throw me completely as my body just doesnt like these meds.  I wonder if anyone can say what has helped them with anxiety and depression, and if the increase will be a good idea.  25 CBT not helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.