I'm screwed!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Have been diagnosed without tests or investigation with Diverticular disease by my GP?

It is a bit of a long Othello but in mid-September, I and my wife were travelling down to Harwich for the overnight ferry, and I started to feel unwell and the symptoms were like the beginnings of food poisoning, blood draining from your head feeling shaky and sweating, now I didn't think I could carry on but got some relief from visiting the loo on five! occasions at different stops. I continued to have lower stomach pain mildly for the rest of the holiday which was two weeks and the best way to describe it was feeling poisoned/toxic! Now, this has carried on up to now even after the second visit to my GP to explain how I was feeling, in my previous consultation he prescribed me a mild laxative (Macrogol) which I had to take 3 times a day with Fybogel. Now here is the rub, I have a spastic colon which is excruciatingly painful if I come off Fybogel for even the briefest of time! Hence the title! Now I've been off work since last Tuesday with lower back pain and feeling miserable with painful joints I attributed to a mild urinary tract infection because of the semi-painful peeing, I had no temperature but a pulse of over 120bpm for three days solid which I successfully tackled with Atenolol beta blockers which brought it down to my normal. Now last night I was awoken by severe abdominal pains in my lower left quadrant it was distended and it was a devil for that gas to free itself which meant the pain was mobile I went to the loo several times without relief from that awful pain and was at one point going to call for an ambulance but I remember reading somewhere that applying heat to that area helps so I put my electric blanket on high and it helped a little, I also drank lots of purified water which also helps, so what do I do? If it is div and I am not supposed to have fibre but I have to have it for my spastic colon? A tip to other sufferers, the only time I had brief relief from feeling poisoned was to have an apple cider vinegar enema every day for four days and not the stuff you get from the supermarket either but organic stuff either from Braggs or Living Earth. Does anyone think I should get a second opinion on my GP's diagnoses because I am not convinced it is Diverticular disease?

Thanks for staying with me on this looong story! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all, yes I have been taking probiotics for several weeks prior to no effect, the problem I have, since discovered is here in the UK that chicken and beef are laced with low dose antibiotics and grain fed and my gut biome overtime with higher levels of foods from the nightshade family has been destroyed, that is why I think I have been feeling "poisoned" and unwell with fatigue and depression bloating and cramps. Since cutting whole grains and the nightshades out along with all meat (until I can successfully source organic pasture-fed meat) the symptoms are gradually fading away! Coincidence, I do not believe so. Went to see my GP on Monday and he has referred me to the hospital for tests (colonoscopy). Thanks again for the continued interest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.