I'm sick for 13 years and I think it's hyperthyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, this is my first post in here. My name is John and I'm from Portugal. Since I was 12 I started suffering from brain fog, I have great difficulty in "thinking straight", trouble processing information and so on. My hair got all tangled, coarse, raw like. I suffer from severe anxiety. For years I didn't know what was going till a doctor said I might have hyperthyroidism and I started to look in the web. But now all the tests are "normal" and the medics refuse to do anything.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Doctors cannot justify doing anything for your thyroid if all your thyroid blood tests indicate normal thyroid functioning.  They can look for other causes for your symptoms but the standard for treatment of hyperthyroidism are confirmation by medical tests and blood tests.  Many conditions mimic other conditions, for example hyperthyroidism mimics heart conditions because of the fast heartbeats etc.  As your doctor to refer you for treatment to an appropriate specialty for your problem.
  • Posted

Hi John.  I just learned from another Board that there is a disease that mimic's thyroid disease called Plummer's disease.  Patients with Plummer's have an enlarged neck with a goitre or growth on their neck.  Because of these growths, they suffere from hyperthyroidism.  Just something you may want to research and get checked out.
  • Posted

Thanks for answering Linda. Have you heard about saliva tests to test Tsh, free t3, t4 and anti peroxidase antibodies?

There are tons of people complaining in the web that the saliva tests say something is wrong when the blood tests say everything is normal, and when they get medication they get better. 

• Posted

I haven't heard about the saliva tests.  Most people with Graves disease will have it show up on blood tests.  If they have the beginnings and it doesn't show on blood tests, it will shortly thereafter.  That's what happened to me.  One test was off and the other two were normal and by the next month all of them were off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.