I’m so depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 17 years old and I am very depressed and have been for quite some time now. I have been to 1 therapy session and I have 11 more sessions to come and then the therapy process is over. 

I’m giving therapy a go and hoping it will help, but my question is, what if after all the therapy I still feel severely depressed, what will they do then? Any advice? Please reply thank you 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Macy (assuming that's your name)

What I can tell you about depression is that it is an ongoing disease, and should be treated as such. (yes I meant to say disease because we need to abolish the stigma that it is just a psychological problem that can be overcome with medication and positivity, this can't be further from the truth.) Depression is an illness. When I was your age, I dealt with it and it manifested in many different forms. Therapy is always the first thing people seem to prescribe to those who feel down and out, or have any kind of troubling thoughts. They do this because A) they can't help you and pass you onto others because they either have their own thoughts of depression and anxiety and cannot solve your problems for you. B) they're quick to diagnose.  

What you must understand is that most people suffer from some form of depression, even if they aren't aware of it. It comes in many shapes and sizes. It can be a secondary emotion like anger, and only emerges with thoughts of the past come back to them (ptsd) or just overall ennui. I think you're doing a great thing by going to therapy, that's a great first step, but remember therapists are there to guide you to your own answers. They ultimately want you to figure out how to help yourself. Don't worry, this isn't a bad thing, you will be more equipped to handle the illness if it happens again. I would suggest that you be very wary of what drugs they put you on, doctors will prescribe anything and treat you as a test subject, so know what you are putting into your body. I am not against medication but I just think because you are so young, there might be a better or different route for you to take to prevent the cyclical dependence on drugs. When therapy is over, they will likely have a diagnosis. Take this with a GRAIN OF SALT. Just because someone labels you as having this or that, doesn't mean they understand the extent of what it means, Everyone is different. Pay attention to your body, take care of yourself and eat good nutritious food. Stay away from people that will tell you that you are a burden because of depression or make you feel inadequate. You aren't. You deserve to feel good. I hope this helps a little.

-Marissa 

• Posted

Hi Macy - stick with it. It is a teaching tool. You will learn to recognise triggers and learn coping skills. Are you on any medications?
    • Posted

Hi again Macy - thank you for your response. Medications can help to balance the mood while the patient tackles any underlying issues through counselling. There are many meds available and what works for you may not work for me. It can be a trying experience finding the right one - I went through 3 before I found something that worked. Meds typically take anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks to be fully effective and it's important to keep up the dosage. Meds are a tool and are used for short periods unless there are deeper issues or a serious propensity to depression.

It's something to consider if you are having trouble keeping a grip on things - just ask your doctor. Best of luck to you whatever you decide and we are always here to talk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.