I'm so worried about my IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have IBS and i'm 13 i'm finding it really stressful and i'm a massive worrier so that doesnt help, i feel ill every day so i miss alot of school and its hard when your friends don't understand what your going through. I have bloating, constipation, diareaa, wind, stomache cramps, nausea and i also have acid reflux which i take medication for , ive ordered a yoga cd, do you think it will calm my musles as when my stomache cramps play up i find it very hard to relax my tummy and it just gets tighter. Please have you got ay suggestions. I don't want to miss loads of school because my idea of a perfect job is now ruined.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi i'm 20 and i've recently been diagnosed with IBS and I ind that I worry about it a lot! I understand how you feel it can be so limiting and depressing. I'm currently really focusing on trying to relax more and not worry as much.

I'm going to try acupuncture next week so if I notice any improvements i'll let you know smile

I know its sounds stupid to say but it will be ok there are periods your IBS will calm down and others it will flare up but there's always a way to get through it.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thankyou, i'm glad i'm not the only one feeling like this, i will take you advise and try out my yoga cd.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I am also 20. Just been at the doctors last week and found out i have IBS. Even though i have been having symptoms from about 3rd year of high school! Dont worry yourself too much.

I lead a pretty normal life through high school, although when i get pains or stomach cramps they last for about 10 minutes. After that i seem to be fine. I used to get really bad flare ups around exam time of school! But recently joined a gym and have been using the sauna and swimming pool to go and relax after a day at college or work! It is really starting to help. So just make sure you have some time to relax at night... Be it with your yoga cd or listening to relaxing music etc...

Hope this helps and you get on fine with School.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there, the thing that really strikes me here is that there is a need to manage your stress levels. Where yoga can help it requires you being able to 'switch off' from your symptoms before you can fully benefit from it. Guided mediation also works because it distracts you.

I have recently had NLP for my symptoms, and it has been amazing. What it's done is to change the way I think and feel about IBS, and how I react to the symptoms. So, instead of building up anxiety because of discomfort I am more relaxed, in control and the problem is not so bad. Also, I was taught a way of reducing the pain by changing the words I used to describe it : instead of using words that show how terrible it is I use light and fluffy, light-hearted words and this also changes my mind-set, so I'm generally a lot more positive than I used to be.

Hope this helps, and that you're led to the things that are going to make a real difference.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up