I'm struggling with depression/menopause and feel like I'm getting nowhere

Posted , 5 users are following.

I woke up one morning around 7 months ago to the most horrendous depression I could ever describe. It just came like a bolt of lightening from nowhere. I was perfectly happy with no problems at all. I have a lovely family and a great job. The Dr Put me on  Sertralene which over the months made a massive difference apart from I couldn't get to sleep at all. He then put me on Trazodone which helped me sleep but I couldn't function during the day and it started affecting my job and ability to get work as I have to drive there and I was too dizzy to get in the car. Last weekend I felt tearful and put it down to my period being due but then started to feel really angry towards the slightest things which is not like me. Two days ago I woke up again and I felt that horrendous depression starting again. The GP has told me to stop the Trazodone and start with a different anti-depressant. I am positive that this is not just general depression though. I am 50 yrs old and have been experiencing night sweats, palpitations , difficulty sleeping,aches and pain especially in my neck and upper spine, difficulty concentrating and a 4 week pattern to my emotions. I am convinced this along with the depression is due to the peri-menopause and not down to mental health issues. I am desperate to find the correct medication and way to treat this. This isn't just a moan about getting older and feeling a bit down. Today I feel like it's 'lifted' a little. Whether or not that was going to happen anyway or it's because I stopped the Trazodone last night - I don't know. Very confused. If anyone can relate to this then I would appreciate some replies.

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sounds pretty classic to Peri to me. I often wonder about doctors. MIne totally missed it also and i got diagnosed with M.E.  .. which to be fair i do have.. but the symptoms at the time where Peri related.. Then i saw a different doctor as an emergency and he picked up on menopause straight away. Its the luck of the draw.  Depression is common and is caused by the lack of hormones affecting the brains ability to produce chemicals like serotonin  that balance mood. Alot of women seem to struggle more with chronic anxiety and panic at this time for the same reason.  I also get the neck pain stiffness and spine pain too.  There is  a list on here that details 66 of the main symptoms.. look for it you will be amazed smile  All what you describe is classic peri and at 50 i would have thought it would be obvious to the doctor, but it is amazing how many docs dont actually think Peri is a *thing* ... they just think we are nuts rolleyes   You will find symptoms come and go as you move through this stage.  Ive had every symptom on the list of 66 and a few more besides over the last 5 years. My body is just going through the final throws of irregular periods , keep missing , then back again.. so hoping its finally getting to te stopping part.
  • Posted

Iso know how you want your life back etc. I highly recommend a good and well trained psychologist in cbt and mindfulness. Along with at least ten weekly sessions of acupuncture. Good therapists are essential, not all are good.
  • Posted

rolleyesDear Nina... I hope I can get you to smile. It helps.  i know how you feel cause I've been through something so similar.  It sounds to me like you might be starting menopause... (duh, like you didn't know that.)   It takes a long time to find the right antidepressant for you. Each of us is different. What works for me might not for you.   It is a good idea to seek out a psychiatrist so he\she can find the right medication for you. Unless you trust your GP that is, as I do mine.  She has put me on different meds to find the right one for me.  It took about 5 months to find the one that worked best.  Meanwhile, try meditation (YouTube has some) and taking warm baths with a glass of wine or tea. Whichever you prefer. There are also lots of books out there (Amazon) that have meditations. It takes awhile to learn it, so give yourself lots of time... there are no mistakes with this. It does work... you focus on your breath and whatever video they are showing.  I hope something here will help you.  Take care.  Debi

• Posted

I don't know if this will help or irritate you. I'm having depression due to three annoying health problems. I have atrial fibrillation which bothers me all the time, and two female problems. Some days I feel too overwhelmed and feel helpless and angry.  I have to deal with it though so I take one of two roads... either sleep it off, which really doesn't help... or take steps to fight it off.  So I take a moderately warm bath and read for awhile.  Or I do meditation.  They do help me.  Till the next day... Then I have to start all over again.  It's sad, but I have to learn to manage it, not have IT manage me.  Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.