I'm taking 15 mg. mirtazapine but it makes me sleepy. I always need an afternoon nap to function.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have mild depression and am taking 15 mg. mirtazapine. It seems to have helped with the

depression and sadness but I need a nap every afternoon. I have been on it for about 3 months.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

its very common to want to sleep while taking mirtazapine as they make you drowsy im on them and even taking them of nighttime still makes me drowsy during the day i feeling of numb is the word i use but yes i do need an afternoon nap they have helped me with the depression but i will have to try something else soon as im sruggling to stay awake
  • Posted

Hi Vickycam - ive been on Mirtazipine for over 5 years as part of treatment for depressive phases of Bipolar - Mirtazipine has the unusual pharmacological quality of being more sedating in lower doses than in higher doses - I had this problem on 15mg - it made me sleepy 24/7! - but it much improved when my doctor increased dose to 30mg at bedtime. One thing ive learned over the years is NEVER! be worried to keep going back to your doctor til the meds are really suiting you - you DONT have to put up with unnecessary side-effects, and your GP doesnt know about probs until you tell him/her, and if your GP is difficult or offputting then definitely change your GP - its so important to have your doctor on your side. Best wishes for a full recovery x
    • Posted

Hi Christine,  Thank you for your advice.  I will discuss it with my doctor.  
    • Posted

No worries, it also occurs to me that you mention you have mild depression, Mirtazipine tends to be used more for people with moderate-severe depression that hasnt responded to other drugs with fewer side effects, have you tried something like fluoxetine or citalopram? They tend not to be sedating at all ... worth asking Doc if you havent already tried those before?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.