I made a discovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I have been away from this forum for a little while but back on track now and back to avidly studying food labels.

My latest discovery is soya products.

Alpro do chocolate, vanilla, caramel puddings. There is a custard alternative and even a soya single cream. The long life stuff can be found in the free-from aisle of the supermarket.

Don't be put off by what you might think it tastes like. I love the chocolate puds.

The cream and custard might help at this time of year because none of us wants to miss out when every skinny minny is stuffing their faces!!

QBxx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for the advice re the Alpro....I tried the choccy pud and it is not too bad...I will make a trifle with it with zero fat sponge and orange segments...plus a quick dash of alpro cream,

Julie

• Posted

Julie B - do tell, where do you get the zero fat sponge...do you make it? If so could you share the ingredients? Many thanks.
  • Posted

Hi quill drill,

here is the recipe for fat free sponge. Julie

ngredients:

4 eggs, beaten

4oz caster sugar

4oz plain flour (or 3oz flour and 1oz good cocoa)

Pinch salt

To make:

Spray an 8” round tin with light cooking oil to make the cake easy to turn out.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Now whisk the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale, fluffy and doubled in volume.

Sift in the flour and salt from a good height, and fold using as few strokes as possible.

Tip the mixture gently into your greased cake tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Fill and top with a low-fat cream cheese icing (beat with icing sugar and lemon juice to taste), fresh fruit, or low-sugar jam.

[impr

• Posted

i have this recipe down as a low fat option, its not fat free though - eggs have a minimum of 5g fat each depending on size of the egg but this is certainly a good sponge alternative to the 'regular' recipe smile
  • Posted

:D That recipe sounds as though even I could make it. You could have a bit of the sponge with some vanilla yogurt over and pretend it's a \"real\" pudding!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.