I made a really big boo boo - drinking . Positive comments only please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Let’s just say that I feel like a total looser. For a good 3 solid weeks I had my anxiety and depression under control.  It was such an amazing feeling. Well, over the weekend I went out and celebrated a friends 40th birthday and over did it on the alcohol.  I know that this is never a good idea, but I can’t take it back.  Now for the past 3 days I feel sad, anxious, and am completely beating myself up over it. Please do not judge me or tell me how stupid it is to drink while have these mental illness.  I am fully aware.  I am just looking for support. I am so angry at myself, and am afraid that these feelings are not going to pass. Anyone have any insight to how to get over this hump?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You have no reason to feel like a looser - you had your anxiety & depression under control for 3 weeks, that is great. Be proud of it & it only shows you that you can do it. wink It has been 3 days so keep trying to regain control - forgive yourself for your mistake (you did nothing horrible or unforgivable anyway) & get back on the track you were on before. We are all human, we make mistakes (even when we know it better) - you are not the only one. Beating yourself up & focusing on that you let yourself go for a night wont make anything better - you just keep yourself down this way. Forgive yourself, stop thinking about - next time you know better, so take it as a lesson. wink Just start over & focus on what is before you. Stop being angry at yourself, stop being mean to yourself - I am sure you know that is not helping...you can't make it undone, you can only makes things worse again for yourself & that is clearly not what you want. Forgive yourself & move on - focus on getting back on track, do what helped you the last 3 weeks & I am sure you will get better again. smile best of luck

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words.  I am just so afraid that I am going to get "stuck" and go back to the way I was before feeling so great. I just need to be positive, its just so hard because I did this to myself. I really appreciate your sweet response it was helpful.

• Posted

You are welcome & you can get back on track as long as you try. wink I don't know your background but you wont get stuck because you managed to change your ways before already - you try to get better again now, you have not given up so I am sure you wont go back to your old ways. Yes, you did this to yourself but so what? Be kinder to yourself - you learned your lesson, you wont do this again, so move on. smile Focus on what helps you instead of what keeps you down..it might take a bit to get back on track but keep trying - you will get there - this was just a small setback, nothing more. smile

• Posted

Plus, if nothing else see it as a challenge - life is full of obstacles, the important thing is not to let your goals & what is important out of sight. Now you learn how to get back on track after a setback & if something causes you to lose control of your issues again you will know how to regain it. You learning a valuable lesson here - you are in control & you can influence those things. Once you have overcome this setback you have even more reason to be proud of yourself & you know you can gets things under control again - this is very helpful as well. wink Just an idea - try to see something positive in what happend. smile

• Posted

Again, thank you very much. You actually just put a smile on my face. This too shall pass. I am only human. 
    • Posted

Hey, I hope you got back on track & things look up again. Not sure whether you are still active here but if you feel like let me know how you are doing? wink

• Posted

Its the social pressure. People expect you to drink at a party.

Move to Saudi Arabia - joking.

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

I  agree, you have no reason to feel like a looser. You should be proud of yourself for admitting that you had a setback. I know, I had my share of setbacks!sad So, stop beating up yourself about something that happens to all of us. Look at it as a lesson that you learned something from. Best wishes to you Kellylol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.