I may swamp this site with questions! sorry!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Getting even more nervous now, less than 2 weeks to go until my hysto and anterior repair. Did anyone have anymore done than they were told they were having? I have a grade 1 rectocele that is starting to give me a bit of trouble. Will my surgeon repair it at the same time if he finds I need it fixing? I'd hate to go through another long recovery. Has this happened to anyone? My op is being done at a private hospital but through the NHS. I'm wondering if I should send an email to the hospital about my concerns.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rosie, my surgeon explained that if they discovered anything else whilst doing the op they would just sort it. So my consent form had lots of and hysterectomy etc on it to cover all eventualities.

Hope that helps

• Posted

That's great. I'm not so worried about the hysterectomy, it's the repair that scares me. Matron has really helped put my mind at ease but I still get a bit panicky every now and then.
  • Posted

Hi. I had my repair done 14 weeks ago. I had a definite bladder prolapse and a partial rectal prolapse. My consent form said anterior repair, rectal repair and hysterectomy. When under the anaesthetic they can tell more about what needs doing so all I needed was a anterior repair in the end.
    • Posted

I'm hoping I won't need to have the rectocele repair because I've read it's a lot more painful but if it needs doing I'd rather have it done. Would it be possibleasier to send you a private message? I have a question that's very personal and graphic. Please don't worry if not, I totally understand.
  • Posted

Hi I have recently had vaginal hysterectomy, post & ant repair done also at a private hospital (in Nottinghamshire)

As the other ladies have said, you have to give consent prior to anything he is intending on doing so while you are in theatre they can have a good luck and assess what needs doing.

You will get chance to speak to your surgeon on the day of admission so I'd ask him. I was a little worried about waking up and finding out what had actually been done as on my consent form it said, vaginal hyserecting +/- post & ant repair. Both were significant so he did all 3, I stressed prior to surgery I would prefer that as like you say you do not want to be back there further down the line having another op. I think if your rectocele is giving you trouble these things only tend to get worse so he will prob repair it anyway, but I would ask just to double check.

Good luck with your operation and recovery xxxx

• Posted

Hi Jill I am 5 weeks post op of a and p repair at a private hospital in Notts too he was possibly going to do a hysterectomy but didn't need to I stressed too. I am struggling with BM's as dearnt strain I am going to my GPs tomorrow to discuss laxatives as it really gets me down I can be 1 and quarter hours waiting for a bm knowing I need to go but it is not quick. I take two Senna at night which seemed to help but not enough now  I am sore around my vagina too which sometimes feels like thrush how about u? X
    • Posted

Hi Diane, sounds like we had our ops around the same time (5th Feb)?

I had a terrible time with trapped wind and BM early on, started using lactulose straight away and it has been a god send. I intend to carry on using it for a few more weeks.

You can buy from chemist without prescription but if seeing your GP I'd ask him/her. 

Re:thrush, yes I have also had this, went to doctors Friday and be gave me canesten HC cream which relived it within 24 hours. I think I was sore from wearing a pad/bleeding.

Are you still resting quite a lot? Although I still feel really tired especially in the afternoon I have the last few days started to walk around a mile each a.m just to try and build my strength back up. Managed fine but do still feel like I have a lot of swelling inside!!!! I used to cycle quite a bit before op, think it will be a while before back on bike seat again 😳

Hope you get sorted at docs tomorrow and feel better soon xxxx

• Posted

Hi Jill 

yes still ill resting walked my puppy first time today   I did line dancing the gym and yoga before I keep thinking don't know how long to leave the gym and yoga   I didn't have a general anaesthetic so not feelin too tired I had an epidural and sedative  which hospital did you go to? X

• Posted

Thank you. I will definitely ask him just to make sure. He said it didn't need doing but it seems small prolapses can get work when work is done so I'll mention that too.

Is everything going well with your recovery? Has it all worked? Xx

• Posted

Hi ladies sorry to interupt but I too am very sore around the back of my vagina, I have a stitch knot there that rubs. Do post if you get some improvement and good luck.
    • Posted

I was at The Park, how about you?

i am back for a 6 week check next week, so hoping I'll get advice as to what I can now do. X

• Posted

O wow me too mr pickes brilliant man I am there next tues for my six week check should have been this Thursday the 10th but they changed it to the 17th then I changed it to the 15th as I couldn't get a lift x
    • Posted

Ahh!!! My consultant is mr Morgan.

Hope your 6 week check up goes ok, keep me posted, good luck with docs today too xxxx

• Posted

I started off with Mr Morgan too then transferred to mr pickes as I had other investigations in between do u live in Nottingham ? I am in Mansfield x
    • Posted

O wow that's brilliant can't believe we live so close I was going to ring the Park and ask if there was a way of getting in touch with other ladies who had had similar procedures for support as it is very isolating isn't it while you are off work I think it's the mental side too and at the Park you don't meet other patients like you do in K M H as you have your own room  then I came across this site and it's been brill.  I live in Forest Town.   Dr says I have thrush great lol another sick note for 2 weeks and some laxido for bowel movements thanks for asking.  Xxx
    • Posted

I can't believe we live so close, yes I didn't see any other patients at all while I was in hospital and I was there Friday-Tuesday.

Glad you got sorted at the docs, think constipation and thrush are part and parcel of these type of ops. I've also had a water infection but cleared up quickly with a course of anti biotics.

keep in touch and let me know how your post op app goes on 15th xx

• Posted

I was in Tuesday till Friday opposite you different consultants I quess my op was 26th Jan    I have already had one infection and was put on ab's for a week they were horrible made me dream and left a horrible taste in my mouth.  Yes I will let you know how I go on but even if he says all ok I am still not going back to work till the end of March as I am a support worker in the community and am in and out of the car and helping peeps in their homes get washed and dressed etc xx
    • Posted

Don't blame you, rest and take care! I have 2 children so for once I'm enjoying chilling out & watching catch up tv while their at school lol xxx
    • Posted

Yes you must rest while you can I think it's essential for recovery hard tho when you are used to being busy.  I have boy/girl twins my son is still at home x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.