I need advice ... with regard to benefits. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm having a rough time, and seed some help.

I've been ill - suffering from chronic neuropathic pain - for the past 11 months or so. I wasn't able to work well, and kept on making mistakes. So, I took a break from work  - and have not been in employment since September. I've earned nothing.

My condition is getting worse, and my GP has said he'll sigh me 'off' as sick. I'm entitled to Employment and Support Allowance and Housing Benefit.

But I suffer from social anxiety disorder. I can't deal with authority figures. I can't handle anything formal. There's no way I can sit an interview.

I've had this condition for years, and I've managed to 'get by'. On occasion, it's overwhelmed me - and I've felt suicidal. My doctor knows this. But I've never been labelled as having the condition.

Right now, I'm suffering from severe depression. The meds I'm taking are helping me cope. But, as I have no money and I'm not claiming beneits, soon I won't be able to get my prescriptions!

How can I get the benefits I'm entitled to? I can't deal with meeting or discussing - face-to-face - my problems with the people who process the benefit claims. I can cope with 'distance' communication (like email) but that's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    you will be happy to know you arent alone! its so irritating to face all this at times and I might sound stupid but only you can help yourself...as i have been helping myself cope with the situation...have healthy discussions with your own self...ask yourself a question why!! why is it that you cant cope with things...take it as a challenge...the more you shy away the more it will haunt you...
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Have you tried the CAB or Mosiac, or a counsellor who could explain to the benefits office how bad you are.I am the same and have been sick at the thought of going out,and am terrified of people in authority, I do hope you get help.Could your Dr give you any advice on where you can get help.It's a real struggle though and I always feel guilty but like you need help.Phone your Dr if you can't face going out.Good luck.Hope you can feel a bit better over Christmas.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    It is tricky if you cannot meet someone to fill in forms!

    yes your GP can give you a sick note (med3) so with that you can claim benefits.

    the Citizens Advice Bureau CAB has been very useful in the past. They might be able to supply a volunteer to help you with the paper work. Get your local CAB number from the Internet. However remember that no one is going to just get on and do it for you without you engaging with the process.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Simon, I am sorry your struggling so much. Ring the relevant agencies and ask if they can do a telephone interveiw regarding claiming benefits. Also can you get  a friend or famiy member to help you that can talk on your behalf and help with the paper work.If this is not possible then the only other solution is the CAB or Mosaic who are very understanding.  


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up