I need answers on my mental health. I don't know what to do.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Feeling sad and gloomy begun three and a half years ago, however I felt as it was completely normal because it was something everyone goes through.

This sadness hasn't stopped though, it keeps coming back and majorly affects me. I have a few ideas why it's getting worse, one thing is that I hate change. I hate the thought of changing and moving to a new area and beginning to lose contact from friends. I don't think that's the major cause to my problem. Slowly from the three and a half years, I've lost interest in everything I've done. Nothing really excites me anymore, when I do smile I try to be genuine to ensure everyone that I'm okay. The only good emotion is portray is sadness and crying. Lots of crying. But that is shown behind closed doors.

I am a very introverted person. I hate when attention is on me only because I've rarely experienced it. This is why I absolutely do not want to tell anyone what I'm feeling. But I know one day bottling all these thoughts and emotions is going to make me have a breakdown. Telling my parents to help me won't do the job either, as much as I love my parents they are closed minded. Before, my sister was diagnosed with depression and my parents didn't think something mentally was wrong with her. I'm 'supposedly' the golden-child. They may not even believe that I can have those kind of feelings.

So I'm stuck. I refuse to tell anyone my problems. Because for once I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me because I don't like experiencing that. It sounds terrible but my mind has worked like that for years. It's better when I live life behind the shadows and not being the centre of attention. Even with people around me, I feel desperately alone.

I'm sorry for this long message, I'm just confused and I don't even know what to do.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi rebbecca

Have you thought of visiting your doctor as this would be confidential..

You need more support as this has been going on to long. What about speaking to your sister that has been through depression? She would be understanding due to her own expereince?

Being introverted can be a lonely place and a lot of people dont understand.  You are your own person  and that is just who you are.  But my main concern is that your not seeking support for your low mood and you have nothing to be ashamed of..

Speak to your doctor if you feel you cannot turn to your family..

• Posted

Thanks for replying Laura,

You have given really helpful advice. I may have to speak to my sister, it just scares me to tell my sister how I feel. Our relationship is very laid back, we don't share serious stuff. But I will hope for the best and try and speak to her about this.

• Posted

I am sure your sister will be more than happy to give you support having been through it herself..If you find it hard to talk at first write it down in a letter that might be easier..
    • Posted

Honestly, I think your sister will be happy to help and happy that you've confided in her. I've always said you need someone who has been through it to understand it.
    • Posted

Thanks for the thoughtful words,

It may take me a while to gather the courage to speak. However I'm sure I will be relieved after I finally tell someone how I feel. Thanks for the support.

• Posted

You really do need to have a long chat with your doctor and get some medication/counselling. Many of us are going through depression and readily recognise your symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi rebecca,

First thing is first go and see your local GP depression and other illness can be well managed if in fact that is what you are suffering from (I am not qualifired) not sure about the UK but there is a depression quiz here in NZ and depending on how mild/severe you are or if at all that dictates how the treatment plan takes place. 

many people in their life will experience some form of mental health episode some have more long term issues that require medication long term...... whatever it is you will be ok try not to get too worried. Keep us posted on how things go.

Take care wink 

• Posted

Thanks for the kind words,

I will have to take the steps in the right direction to ensure this issue is resolved. It may take me a while to gather courage to speak to a local GP.

My first step is to speak to my sister when the time is right. Although I am dreading it.

Thanks for the advice smile

• Posted

I'm sure she will understand she will be more worried than shocked !!! people will want to help those they love family friends etc! Be strong get the help you deserve dont struggle through this thing wink
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

It might be less awkward to write your sister a letter or put your thoughts down on paper and then let her read what is on your mind that way. Good luck! Stay strong :-) x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.