I need help with my blood results - totally confused! :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

I really need help!  I picked my latest results up today - they make no sense to me!  Please can anyone tell me what this means...

Serum free triiodothyronine level - 6.2 pmo/L (High)

Serum free T4 level = 17.5 pmo/L,

tsh level 0.01,

thyroid peroxidase antibody level 5 U/ml.

Lh level 5.5

fsh level 7.0

hoping you can help...

Donna

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi d5cou,

When you get lab results, it is always a good idea to get a copy of the actual lab report. These reports always show your test result and right beside your results, the normal range for that particular test. As these vary from lab to lab, it is always helpful when posing a question such as yours to post your results and the normals for your particular lab. Having said that, here's what I understand from your results.

Your serum free triiodothyronine level usually written as (Free T3) is high, indicative of hyperthyroidism. Your free T4 is normal. Your TSH level is reduced at 0.01 which is indicative of hyperthyroidism. Your thyroid peroxidase antibody level is within the normal range indicating that you don't have an autoimmune thyroid disease such as Graves or Hashimoto's. Your LH and FSH are within the normal range indicating that you are not menopausal. Overall, it would appear that you have hyperthyroidism but not an autoimmune disease. You could have this because of thyroid nodules and you would require further testing if you have thyroid nodules which usually can be felt on physical examination by your physician. Your hyperthyroidism will still require treatment. Hope this is understandable.

• Posted

Thank you so much Linda187, I feel relieved that it's probably not graves or hashimotos, I have a private appointment with a endo on the 18th august, I just hope he can prescribe me something to get this under control!  I'm so exhausted! Thanks again! Donna
    • Posted

I would be interested in what your Endo says on the 18th. Would you be willing to post again and let us know?

• Posted

Yes, definately will let you know what he suggests... Thanks again! 😌
    • Posted

Have you been given anything from your GP to help you with your symptoms until you see your Endo? I know when I was waiting for all my tests to be completed, I was given Propranolol for the fast heartbeat. It helps a lot. Also, hyperthyroid patients lose carnitine, from their muscles through their urine. Replacing this with Regular L-Carnitine helps with symptoms. You can get this in a health food store and because it is the same as what your body produces, there should not be a problem with it at a dose of 1,000 to 2,000 mg. The acetyl-L-Carnitine is much more sensitive especially in raising the TSH but you need to be more careful with the Acetyl and what other meds it is combined with, more so than the Regular. Hyper patients are also deficient in Vitamin D and it is a good idea to replace this also. To learn more about L-Carnitine and hyperthyroidism, Google Dr. Salvatore Benvenga, an endocrinologist from Italy who did a study on this in Italy.
    • Posted

My gp has been really unhelpful, I went to her last September with flu symptoms... She said it was viral and sent me home with paracetamol.  I thought I was dying, the symptoms went on and on, I finally went again in the December when she finally agreed to do a blood test which showed tsh at less than 0.01, she immediately prescribed me 10mg carbimazole twice a day.  I had no explanation about the condition and was scared so I stopped taking it after a week.  I tried a herbal medicine called Dr Reckevic's R20... For 6 months before deciding to pay private for an endo appointment, he ordered the tests I mentioned through the gp, and I've to go back to him with the results.  I've been taking 1000mg l-carnitine, 1000mg acetyl, high dosage vitamin D and omega 3,6 & 9 daily for the last 3 weeks after reading some of the other posts. I haven't seen a benefit yet but maybe it's early days. Hopefully the endo will give me a treatment plan to take back to the gp :S 
    • Posted

Why don't you take just a small dose of Carbimazole like 5 or 10 mg once a day along with the supplements you are taking? When the Acetyl-L-Carnitine is combined with the Carbimazole, it will raise your TSH level fairly quickly. Your T3 and T4 results are not that much out of range by my lab standards but they will decrease also. You don't have much longer to wait to see the Endo. This might help in the meantime. Do tell him everything you are taking though, even the supplements.
    • Posted

Linda ,

Can I take my tapozole , beta blocker and Aectyl cartinine at the same time ??

• Posted

I am not sure about the beta blocker + Acetyl. I would take the beta blocker separately. What I do know is that the Acetyl crosses the blood-brain barrier. So initially when I wanted to bring my TSH up, it was good that I took Acetyl and Tapazole together. It either carried the Tapazole into the nucleus of the cells or alternatively it is affecting the thyroid at the level of the pituitary. I don't know which. But it worked and it worked fast, such that I had to lower my doses of both the Tapazole and the Acetyl and get blood work done frequently. So it would depend on where your levels are at. I started at 1,000 mg of Acetyl but then quickly lowered it to 500 mg Acetyl and 5 mg of Tapazole. When it was too high, I took 500 mg of Acetyl and then 5 mg Tapazole every other day and it fell to a better range. Once you see the TSH rising, I would not take more than 500 mg of Acetyl and once the TSH is at 1.00 or above, I would not take them together but rather take one of them in the morning (like the Tapazole) and one in the evening. You really have to try and see which feels better to take when. I did not have to take beta blocker after I was on Tapazole so I don't know how they work together but you are on a low dose of Tapazole so it should be okay. Do let us know how you are doing.
    • Posted

When i was prescribed Tapazole (Methimazole [MMI] is the generic) I was prescribed a beta blocker to take at the same time, or at another time of day, it didn't matter.  I always was made sleepy and with low energy when I took the MMI and the Endo said it didn't matter if I took the whole dose of MMI at one time of day or divided it, or even whether I missed a day or not as long as I took the right amount for the week, so I took the MMI in the evening.

I didn't take the Acetyl-L-Carnitine until I had been off the MMI for over a year, but my current Endo says he didn't think Carnitine would affect the thyroid at all.

• Posted

Hi Donna ,

I have hyperthyroidism like you . I am amazed you have gone this long with the miserable symptoms. I have been dealing with it from June. I am lucky with a great GP.. She has Graves 20 years ago .. And it very compassionate and understanding . My new Endo is also wonderful she calls me personally by telephone ... I am on a low dose beta blocker for heart rate and just started 5mg Tapozole once a day . It's only been a week but I am told it could take 3-8 weeks :-(... I take all the same supplements as you on advice of Linda. She is truly knowledgeable and helpful . What are your symptoms ? Seems everyone is different ... 

Audrey 

• Posted

Hi Audrey97605, this forum is so comforting, it's so good to speak to others who know how it feels!  My most severe symptom is exhaustion, I get to the point where I just can't function, it's almost like my brain goes into shut down, I don't process information my memory is dreadful, my words get muddled and I find holding a conversation exhausting as I it takes so much effort. My body becomes very heavy, every step is forced.  I have three kids and work 4 days a a week supporting people with dementia so I have to keep going, by the time I get to bed, my heart is banging through my chest into the matress, I have hypersensitivity in my skin and it feels like bugs crawling through my hair... This is literally driving me nuts and I dont sleep deeply.  I have some carbimozole left over from when it was first prescribed so I think I will try a low dose daily with my suppliments until I get to the endo in a few weeks and see if it helps! Xx
    • Posted

Very sorry Donna . I can relate to those feelings as well . I had to give up working as it got too hard dealing with the public. 

Hopefully the medication will start working for both of us soon !! I also have 2 children and at times it is stressful to deal with . Mine are 11 and 8... I used to have the itchy scalp bug feeling but that has gone for now. 

I really watch what I eat because I have read that can help the recovery .... Keep us posted !! Audrey. 

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I see where you are quite desperate as it is, so I think you are right in trying a low dose daily, especially if you are not due for another blood test within the next 4 weeks.  If you take it, take it in the evening when it might help you sleep better and your mind can be clearer in the morning -- or so I would think from my own experience.

Also, it was my understanding that the TPO antibody test was specifically for Hashimoto's and if they wanted to rule out any autoimmune involvement of the thyroid they would test for TRAb (tsh receptor antibodies) or TSI (Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobins) for Graves' Disease specifically.

• Posted

Hi Fern, 

That's interesting, the Endo said he was testing the antibodies for Graves as my auntie has Graves, but my sister who lives abroad was recently diagnosed with Hashimotos.  The previous poster on this discussion said that because the result for the thyroid peroxidase test came back normal this would rule out autoimmune issues... Is this not the case? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.