I need some advice pleaseee

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ok been on citalopram for 3 years now.

Moved up from 10-20-30

Ive been doing really bad last two weeks my anxiety is through the roof

Doctor gave me 1mg klonopin to take a day to help deal with the anxiety. Didnt help so next day she said take 2mg....nothing

I went up to 40 of celexa for 4 days and had no improvment so she told me go back to 30.

She wants me to continue 2mg klonopin a day which dont help plus stay on 30 until the end of the month where we will consider switching to prozac.

My question is should i go back to the 40 for a few weeks see if that helps or do you think i should follow my doctors advice and stay on 30 until the end of the month?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Ok. It doesn't matter how long you have been on a drug, if you increase, it's like starting over. The increase WILL INCREASE ANXIETY. For couple wks or 3 or more until you have adjusted to it. No way around. You will just have to cope. Talk to someone. CBT. Exercise. Write. Don't get bored. Keep active. Sorry your going thru it. Iv been there MANY times. GAD an Depression dx. Also withdrew fr an opiate, Tramadol. Horrible drug! Talk about anxiety! Tons of it withdrawing fr an opiate.

Goodluck.

• Posted

So I should go back on 40 you think? Give it a longer chance.

• Posted

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but what was your experience with tramadol?

• Posted

No prob. I was addicted to Tramadol. Started it in 2005?? Can't remember. For tibial stress fracture. Orthopedic Dr says" Here's a new drug for pain an its non addicting!" Yeah bull hockey. My Dad(im adopted so no " runs in family thing" not blood related) took Hydrocodone #10's like candy starting in his 50's for various injuries an then " iv got arthritis " line. So I also was in Medical field so I knew what was going on an what these opiates can do when mistaken. Well in 2000 our daughter died. I had a 4 yr old son also an married. Didn't deal with just went back to work as did my husband. Iv had anxiety my whole life. It increased dramatically after Megan's death. I was 30. Well when that first pill hit my system, it was like a wt was lifted fr my chest. Not high. Just not in darkness an anxiety at bay. Tramadol increases Seratonin an norepinephrine in brain or bowel. So fr then on I found ways to get it off an on. I would go thru short withdrawls an then be moody or depressed an then go to Dr a month later with my back (herniated disks) an get more Tramadol. Then started gettin off Internet. 300$ a month back in 2012-13. Horrible. 15-20 pills a day at the end. 50 mg pills. In USA. Then got sick with Norovirus an ended up in detox facility self admitted cause I had been wanting to quit for yrs but got so sick in hrs (cause on high dose) if non. Now I NEVER had siezures withdrawing or in detox. Had one due to TO MUCH Tramadol. Spent 5 days in detox an felt ok. Started on Zoloft, first antidepressant. Wish I could have taken it. It helped so much after 5 wks but became toxic in my body. Very sick. Then on to 6 more meds. I stopped Zoloft 3 months after detox. Severe depression hit by Sept. By Dec it was very frightening. Put on Lexapro. No go. An givven Klonapine 1mg. Been on that since 2014. Then on an on. Each time I stopped a antidepressant cause it wasn't working depression came within a month of taking nothing. I wish I had never taken that first pill. The withdrawls are horrific. Worse than an antidepressant. WAY worse. Glad I had Klonapine in detox. It helped but still had restless legs constantly. Thats my story.

Im on Effexor now. Hopefully Its it!

• Posted

I know alot of people on 40mg. If you think the 30 pooped out, which it can, then maybe go to the 40. But remember it's like starting over. But since you have been on 30 so long it might not last that long, the anxiety an side effects. Might be 2 wks or 3 maybe. I switched fr Citolopram 20mg for 7wks to Effexor next day. Anxiety did increase but not everyday. Now it has calmed. Day 14. I to take Klonapine 0.5mg. Sometimes a whole pill or half. Sometimes pill an half (use to on 1mg). You will need to taper EVER SO SLOWLY off the Klonapine when ready. Like months. Like 6 months if on it for over Id say 3-6 months. Its addicting to. But it is necessary sometimes. An in mean time you need to find ways to deal with your anxiety. A good game of racketball helps! Get those natural endorphins going.

• Posted

I talked with a friend of mine he thinks if I have too keep increasing it's not working well enough and should try something else....im just worried about withdrawing from it after 3 years ya know. Prozac is another Ssri so I'm hoping it's not too difficult.

• Posted

Hi Kain,

Firstly let me say I'm sorry to here your suffering. It sucks! I was on an anti-depressant for 8 years and recently changed to citalopram. Started at 20 then up to 40. To be honest although I still have episodes of anxiety I do feel more energetic and my mood is generally better. However like I said I still get anxiety which I was hoping would stop. When I was told to ween off my meds and start citalopram my doctor gave me 0.5mg of xanax taken in in half doses 3 times a day. So you split 1 pill in half in the morning then around lunchtime you have the other half the another half in the evening. It works it totally calmed me down, but it it only recommended for a 2 month period as it can be addictive. But it it fantastic and I feel a million times better. After the 2 months I have weened of the xanax week by week and now I'm just on the 40mg of citalopram. I've also been given diazepam 2mg for emergencies. But the xanax is a definite go to for short term relief as it works very quickly. I would ask you doctor. Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Thanks I really appreciate the response. I wonder if weaning off one ssri and going onto another reduces withdrawal.
  • Posted

Hi Kain, If I where you, I'd take your doctors advice and stay on the 30 mg for the month otherwise you are just going destabilise things.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi kain

I'm into my 4th week on 40mg and starting to feel some improvements and the side effects are reducing. Only last week I was in despair, so a week can make alot of difference!

My dosage was increased at very short intervals which didn't give me time to settle on each dose.

I would give it more time on your current dose otherwise you will just, potentially, suffer side effects.

Good luck and stay positive. They have helped you for 2 years and is sure they will x

• Posted

Thanks a lot guys I've been on 30 for maybe 7 months now and I've stayed on the 30 these past two weeks I really think I should give 40 another shot problem is...

My doctor is on vacation until the 26th

She messed something up before she left so I'm going to run out of my 2mg klonopin which I take 1 mg in the morning and 1mg at night.

Plus I'm not feeling any improvement staying on 30.

I'm wondering if I should go up to 40 until I see her on the 30th.

She only had me on 40 for 4 days and after no improvement she dropped me back down.

I'm in a really tough spot.

• Posted

I'm so lost right now and feel permanently awful.

• Posted

Hi Kain, sorry to hear you're not good right now.  I have been so low in the past that I thought I would never be well again, but you will be.

It may be bad now but it will not always be this way believe me.  You have had so many dosage changes your body is bound to be mixed up.  If you feel like you need the klonopin another gp will prescribe it for you.

Stay strong.

• Posted

I live in the U.S. and Primary care doctors don't like to prescribe that stuff...and on top of that I dont have one right now I only have a psychiatrist sad

• Posted

I dont know how much the klonopin helps but I dont want to withdraw from it ya know ughh.
    • Posted

That's bad.  Can you go to Accident & Emergency at your local hospital.  That's what we do in the UK if we need help.

Hope you can get something sorted. I feel for you, but you can do it.  I did and I'm not strong.  

• Posted

Thanks for your response I have enough to make it through the week....im thinking the doctor who's covering will give me a call but she's in on Tuesdays and Thursdays only and tomorrow they'll be closed because we have a huge storm coming tonight. rolleyes ugh this is so stressful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.