I need some help been ill for 2 months now

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi i've signed up to here because i feel like im running out of options, i've always suffered with anxiety and depression but recently ive been going through something i've never been through before, I can't go more than a couple of days without severe stomach discomfort and pain with what feels like bloating.

I thought maybe it's certain foods that are triggering it but even after eating clean I can still be bad, it feels as though it's stress or anxiety related but i just don't know anymore.

I need to be able to work to pay rent but in my current state I'd never be able to hold down a job.

Most of the time it starts in the early hours, ill wake up feeling anxious with my heart racing and then things slowly go worse from there normally with my swallowing as my sinus's feel irritated or something at the back of my throat though I don't have a cold, I keep doing this and gradually end up with a build up of gas in my stomach which is really uncomfortable and end up unable to do anything the rest of the day apart from wait for bedtime again and hope for a better day.

Ive been on citalopram 20mg over 10 years but last year I changed to escitalopram as I thought maybe they'd help more with my depression, i was on them a few months but i kept getting headache on them and didnt like the sides so gradually came off them, I then did a few months without anything but everything got too much with me, stress of losing a job and then a pet dying sent me over the edge and I ended up back at the doctors and on citalopram 10mg.

This was about a week before January, I was getting really bad sides off them they'd make me feel high but not in a good way but i stuck with them, this was also when my stomach started getting worse, i'd often wake up at 3-4 am and be unable to go back to sleep with too much going on in my head.

After seeing the doctor again he prescribed me omeprazole 20mg, which have helped a bit, I no longer have acid and I don't wake up as early anymore and when I do sometimes I can get back to sleep. so in that regard things have improved a bit.

I ended up halfing my 10mg citalopram and have been on 5mg a day for a couple of weeks now as the sides just wern't going away and I felt it was irritating my already sensitive stomach.

I've had stool samples and it came back as fine, im booked in for a blood test and ultrasound on my stomach and the doctor recommended to double my dose of omeprazole one in the morning and one at night.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to get it all off my chest ive been suffering for months now with the odd good day in between I feel like this is how it's going to be now from now on with no end in sight.

The stomach discomfort makes me really irritable and unsociable i just want to stay in my room until it passes and any human interaction just bothers me.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Have you tried anti spasmodics for the pain and tried a food diary? Have your bowel movements changed?Has IBS been mentioned which is linked with anxiety and depression. You may have to have an endoscopy to look for gastritis which can also be stress related.

• Edited

Hi Dhallwood

You may need to be referred to ENT - Ear, Nose and Throat clinic. I noticed you mentioned the feeling you get in your sinus and throat. You may be suffering with 'Silent Reflux' and/or 'Post Nasal Drip' both of which can cause stomach problems....speak with your doc about a referral....m

• Posted

Thanks for the replies I think it may be IBS or Gastritis. not sure about the silent reflux as I dont have a sore throat etc. I think it's to do with stress and the fact I was ill a fair amount over the xmas holidays it seems to have weakened my immune system or something. it just seems like it's never going to go away, i cant do a few days without having a bad one putting me out of action for the full day, my stomach cramps and i feel like being sick but never am. i've tried all sorts, aloe vera, DGL, buscopan, windeeze but nothing really seems to be making any difference.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.