I quit citalopram after a few days

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was able to deal with day 1 on citalopram.. the heightened anxiety, nausea,  spacing out.... I also experienced insomnia.

As the days went on the anxiety worsened.. 

I decided to stop taking the Meds just because i couldn’t tolerate the side effects.. especially it being a bad time for me.. working ft and going to school full time as well..

Do you guys recommend anything else for anxiety?

Please and thanks!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Exercise is very good and meditation tapes and you can also go on cognitive behaviour courses i am starting one on Tuesday . I personally dont think i could have dine it without the tablets as well yes the side effects are not nice but you do come out the other end
  • Posted

Yes i recommend 5htp which is an amino acid and Ashwagandha.  You can buy them at any health food store Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc:, I am currently weaning from citalopram after 10 yrs and it was hell before i began taking them, especially the 5 htp. 

I also recommend reading two books which will help you understand how to treat your anxiety without an SSRI. 1) “Mood cure” by Julia Ross 2) “Put Anxiety Behind you” by Peter Bongiorno both books have really helped me. You can order them on amazon. 

Good luck i really hope you stay off the SSRIs they will only give you more issues later on down the road. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.