I said bye to Mirtazapine after taken it over 10 years.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I had been on 45mg Mirtazapine per day for over 10 years as it was great for helping my diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. I decided to stop now due to always being tired and mainly the weight gain, so I wanted to see if I get some weight loss by stopping. I am a 54 year old male, my weight is about 13 stone, and I am 6'1 tall. I don't look over weight but the belly fat is just too annoying and does not help when breathing while sitting down. So I thought enough is enough and no diets had worked due to powerful cravings for cake, sweets and junk.

I felt good and ready to stop the Mirtazapine ie I felt ready! I looked into it and read other peoples experiences and I got to be honest it scared the life out of me from what I was reading with regards to Mirtazapine withdrawal. My advice DON'T! As it will only put the unnecessary fear into you Yes of course everyone is different, but go by how you feel and not by how others feel as you know your own body feelings!

I went for the tapering off method but the method was mine that I think has worked for me well fingers crossed.

This is what I done if you can call it tapering:

January 30th 2019

I dropped the dose from 45mg to 30mg. This gave me stomach upset diarrhea that lasted 24 hours then all was good, Could not sleep and also vivid dreams but also more energy lasted only about 3 days the sleep problems that is.

February 23rd 2019

I dropped the dose from 30mg down to 22.5mg per day. My sleep was normal but I did notice a bit of anxiety and internal tremors but I knew what the cause was so I just enjoyed the ride so to speak and within a few days the tremors stopped but still had some anxiety and to be honest I have anxiety anyway which Ive just got used to over the years. I also had a feeling of being proud of myself for coming off Mirtazapine.

March 4th 2019

I dropped from 22.5mg down to 7.5mg per day. I had a moment of anxiety and detachment so I took half of dose of 5mg Diazepam and I was fine. Things generally improved....

March 15th and 16th 2019 I took NO Mirtazapine and felt great well normal.

March 17th 2019 Stopped completely and the date of writing this is the 23rd March 2019 and I feel fine slightly anxious but I am anyway but its manageable because I feel uplifted being able to stop Mirtazapine. Yes still early days but the withdrawals did not seem as bad as people have written which is why I said earlier go by your own accounts / feelings and not what others have experienced. Just follow and listen to your own body as your the expert of your feelings. For me using Mirtazapine for well over 10 years on highest dose 45mg per day' I don't think Ive done to bad coming off!

My last comment is my belly fat is feeling softer so I guess its a sign of starting to loose the weight 😃

Yay HAPPY DAYS with a dose of Anxiety lol.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

**Sorry just re-posted as problems with text missing..... **

I had been on 45mg Mirtazapine per day for over 10 years as it was great for helping my diagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. I decided to stop now due to always being tired and mainly the weight gain, so I wanted to see if I get some weight loss by stopping. I am a 54 year old male, my weight is about 13 stone, and I am 6'1 tall. I don't look over weight but the belly fat is just too annoying and does not help when breathing while sitting down. So I thought enough is enough and no diets had worked due to powerful cravings for cake, sweets and junk.

I felt good and ready to stop the Mirtazapine ie I felt ready! I looked into it and read other peoples experiences and I got to be honest it scared the life out of me from what I was reading with regards to Mirtazapine withdrawal. My advice DON'T! As it will only put the unnecessary fear into you Yes of course everyone is different, but go by how you feel and not by how others feel as you know your own body feelings!

I went for the tapering off method but the method was mine that I think has worked for me well fingers crossed.

This is what I done if you can call it tapering:

January 30th 2019

I dropped the dose from 45mg to 30mg. This gave me stomach upset diarrhea that lasted 24 hours then all was good, Could not sleep and also vivid dreams but also more energy lasted only about 3 days the sleep problems that is.

February 23rd 2019

I dropped the dose from 30mg down to 22.5mg per day. My sleep was normal but I did notice a bit of anxiety and internal tremors but I knew what the cause was so I just enjoyed the ride so to speak and within a few days the tremors stopped but still had some anxiety and to be honest I have anxiety anyway which Ive just got used to over the years. I also had a feeling of being proud of myself for coming off Mirtazapine.

March 4th 2019

I dropped from 22.5mg down to 7.5mg per day. I had a moment of anxiety and detachment so I took half of dose of 5mg Diazepam and I was fine. Things generally improved....

March 15th and 16th 2019 I took NO Mirtazapine and felt great well normal.

March 17th 2019 Stopped completely and the date of writing this is the 23rd March 2019 and I feel fine slightly anxious but I am anyway but its manageable because I feel uplifted being able to stop Mirtazapine. Yes still early days but the withdrawals did not seem as bad as people have written which is why I said earlier go by your own accounts / feelings and not what others have experienced. Just follow and listen to your own body as your the expert of your feelings. For me using Mirtazapine for well over 10 years on highest dose 45mg per day' I don't think Ive done to bad coming off!

My last comment is my belly fat is feeling softer so I guess its a sign of starting to loose the weight 😃

Yay HAPPY DAYS with a dose of Anxiety lol.

• Posted

Great Job!!!! Thanks for you wonderful news and support. You are inspiring others, I know it's still early in your W/D's, so I hope you don't have anything else that pops up. Did you take any other supplements for sleep while doing your taper? Thanks

• Posted

Hi Brandi

No I took no supplements as I did not want to make any deal out of it that will play on my mind. The sleepless did not last long at all just about 3 days, because I knew the cause I just took no notice and try to carry on as normal, I feel I am over the worst but the anxiety comes up but that's normal for me really anyway. My sleep is fine now 😃

• Posted

Congratulations. You have shown others that it can be done. You did a quick taper but it seems you don't have any problems and I hope it continues for you. Best of luck in getting down to your desired weight.

• Posted

steven54138

Many thanks its appreciated. I appreciate we are all different but for me as a long term user of Mirtazapine 45mg I was very happy to feel that I have beaten it and I have no intention of starting again also I don't feel a need too 😃

What made it a challenge for me was reading up the scare story's of trying to stop. I don't feel its difficult if you wait till your ready and sure. I tapered down quickly because I just wanted off, Still a little taper to see what happens rather than bang stop. I just listened to the feel of my body as I came off. 😃

• Posted

I forgot to mention I no longer feel hungry or crave cakes lol 😃

• Posted

yes I think you have done amazing! I honestly need to stop reading all the horror stories too, I think it makes my anxiety worse However, I love seeing stories like yours. Good luck and enjoy Living!!

• Posted

how long did it take to drop the weight? i have been off it nearly a month now and piled weight on too!!! i had awful side effects coming off it, nausea, dizziness etc

• Posted

Hi jacqueline51430

Ive only really just stopped the Mirtazapine but I feel my belly getting softer and my cravens have stopped, My constant hunger is drifting away.... I did not really understand your message sorry.

You have been of for nearly a month and piled weight on too?

Sorry do you mean you stopped over a month ago because of weight issues? If so has your weight began to drop? What have you noticed since stopping the Mirtazapine?

• Posted

i was on it around 8 months, i thought it was a good drug, helped me sleep and the anxiety got better, i also cheered up a bit,, didn't get any side effects from the weight gain tbh, i train 5times a week and was watching what i was eating and it still piled on!!! been off it for 3 weeks now, maybe a bit difference in the weight especially off my tummy too, i feel now im training tho, im not doin it for nothing!! hopefully will loose another stone,im still full of withdrawal symptoms off of it, i must admit, i went cold turkey, the withdrawals have been worse the longer ive been off it!!!

• Posted

Doctors always telling me not to eat junk food and eat more fish and rabbit food lol. I told them even on a diet a lettuce leaf will make me put on weight but they did not understand. I now know that Mirtazapine interferes with your glucose and lipids stats and upsets weight control. I was never a fat person until I went on to Mirtazapine also the Mirtazapine made my cholesterol levels high and my triglyceride levels went through the roof, They put me on a fish oil called Omacor but did not make any difference because the Mirtazapine was changing my system like with the fat gain so unless I stopped the Mirtazapine there was no hope. I was always a healthy person before Mirtazapine. Try not to be tempted to go back on if you can! Hope your be ok 😃

• Posted

i deffo wont go back on it again!! im done, good luck to you as well, are you changing meds now or you off all meds

• Posted

I'm of meds totally now but been given Diazepam for emergency use only' Knowing I have them keeps my mind as rest. Which works out about 10mg per month so its fine.

I am on cholesterol medication and I believe my cholesterol levels will now improve now that Ive stopped the Mirtazapine...

• Posted

i have lorazepam for emergencies as well, they tried to put me on trazadone, but it was like a horse tranquilliser, just awful, a wanna see if i can manage without them, im training a lot so thats helping my moods, my sleep pattern is just awful tho, im even getting nightsweats, nightmares etc

• Posted

i was taking 15mg, ive been off it ova 3weeks, the nausea is terrible, ive nearly fainted twice, night sweats, light headed, blurred vision, my sleep pattern is really disturbed too, they did help me sleep, ive had a lot of body twitching too,are you thinking of going cold turkey

• Posted

well im down to 5.6mg of MIRT from 7.5mg. I've only taking it for three months. I just went down on my dosage 4 days ago. But I have two toddlers at home and work part time, so I'm really scared of the W/D's. How much a night are you sleeping right now? Also did the w/d's start right away?

• Posted

its really strange,, when i first went ct, i didnt get any withdrawls at all, maybe because they were still in my system, tho they half a short half life in your system apparently. this last week hasnt been too good, but im keeping going with it, the thought of going through this again would be awful!! i wish these gps would explain the withdrawals on these pills

as for sleep, im finding it hard to get to sleep, and to stay asleep, im getting awful nightsweats and nightmares, i think your doin it the right way, weaning off it, have you had any withdrawls?

• Posted

ps, why did you come off it so quickly? was it not working? i came off it because of weight gain, ps dont be frightned, youl be ok, tell your family or friends whats happening, and youl get support 👍👍👍👍

• Posted

yes, I started gaining weight real quickly and I have never been heavy. ALSO I still have nights where i don't sleep, which is the reason I went on it. My anxiety stems from mot sleeping, if I sleep, I'm ok. I do well even on little sleep, it is the nights where I never fall asleep and do that several days in a row. I just want to be normal and not have to worry about any of this. I have not had any W/D's yet since tapering but I hear all the horror stories that they usually come 2/3 weeks after:(

• Posted

i totally get it!!! if i wake up unfresh i get more anxiety too, im agitated n tired n have no motivation, i actually dred bedtime,, i get the butterflies at the thought 💭 sumtimes i get anxiety just thinking about it!! the mirt did help me sleep, but didn't knock me out, it didn't give me an awful hangover either, i have never gained weight so quick either n i train and watch my weight!!! i only read about the withdrawals after i had done it, as i think it scares youl more when your coming off it

are you gonna try anything else? they put me on trazadone, i cant tolerate it, it knocks you out.. brilliant, but awful in the morning, it stays with you all day

• Posted

im going to try not to, we will see how it goes, I guess. Good luck to you in your process, keep me posted on how you do...btw, how much sleep are you actually getting even with all the disturbances. I guess haw many hours are you averaging a night.

• Posted

im keeping my fitbit on at night im actually averaging around 6hours a night, but restless around 33times on average and awake around 45mins thru the night, wen im restless all thru the night tho, I feel like i havnt slept at all, just knackered in the morning x

• Posted

i can understand not feeling well when you have restless sleep. I will keep you in my thoughts and send so

e good vibes your way and hope you get to feeling better!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.