I started Mirtazapine for depression only 5 weeks ago, can I just stop?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i started on 15mg for 2 weeks now on 30mg. I have absolutely no change in my mood at all just a huge weight gain already which is making me even more depressed!! Does anyone know if I can just stop these horrid tablets now and start something else straightaway.   I know lots of you will think I'm being a bit quick off the mark wanting to stop Mirtazapine already but I can deal with lots of side effects  sleepiness, restless legs etc all of which have gone away but not this continuing weight gain. I am 62 and have fought with my weight for years, this is really adding to my depression/stress/anxiety levels!! Help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would lower dose for bout a  week,  then get off... And my weight is hotter now tht I'm off.... But your biggest thing is to feel better.. And seems the linger on this me.. The harder to get off,, I never knew until I got myself off.. I did it without my Dr permission.. It did help me at the time cause I have huge anxiety.. But I have many many health problems...and anxiety being one of them.... Better to stop before years into it... I started in 2006, and just got off last year,  so it took me longer to get off.... I take buspirone for my panic now... And I monitor my intake so it ever happens again... Buspirone for me is better.. But all our bodies are different.. You have to see what works best for you... I truly hope this helps... 

• Posted

As you have only been on it for such a short time I would stop now otherwise  you draw out the agony. I was on for 8 weeks and I stopped cold turkey. My doctor said  to stop  . He has people on it for  years on 60mg and he said I was only on 15 mg  and I had minimal withdrawel symptoms which I found Temazepam and 2 mg Valium helped  for a week or so. Best to try something like an SSRI anti deppressant-I am 78 and have been on Lexapro which I find really good with little or no side effects. Good luck.
  • Posted

Yes.. I would just stop .....may GOD ALMIGHTY BLESS your recovery from this... I know it will be OK.. Just get through the hardest part.  The beginning.. And it's all worth it later.. 🙌🙋

• Posted

I feel you SooBoo, I put on 45lbs in 4 months. I would advise a taper off mirt, but thats up to you. The withdrawl fx can be a beast. Take care. BTW I took 15mg for 4 months and I did dose dropping and a taper. Im about 5 weeks off, dont feel to good and have put on 3 more lbs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.