I still have trouble coping with anxiety in public, any advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys,

I've had trouble with anxiety for a long time now, but I still have trouble coping in public. I always try to do breathing excercises but it doesn't really seem to help, my thoughts won't stop and I'm on the border of panic sometimes, I'm afraid I'll tear up and people will notice. How do you cope with your anxiety in public? Maybe some of your methods would help better.

Thanks xxx

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey Mo. What kind of thoughts is it you experience?

Xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That people on the street laugh at me behind my back, that I'm walking stupid, how stiff I'm walking, how I'm sitting in the bus, and anything I was already anxious about that day.. Stuff I think I've screwed up, things I've said wrong, scenarios about how people will react badly/reject me/attack me.. When I'm outside I also constantly have to be alert and stay as far away as possible from men who look a certain way.. It always seems like so much different stuff at a time rolleyes
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi. It's ruins your life and is debilitating. Ruined my teens. You're confidence gets better as you get older. But I needed medication to help me though as I tried everything with little success. Also Bach flower remedies, meditation/relaxation apps help. Plus look up the Tapping solution( free) it's really good and gives you something else to focus on. Good luck and keep us posted..
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is not that helpful but I'm still at that stage that I intend to take a valium if I need to leave the house.  I take deep breaths and try to concentrate on the task before me (ie. food shopping) and not on the people around me.  I'm still in the early days of medication and have not yet gone to my first counselling session but others in this forum should have some good coping techniques.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there

I carry Rescue Remedy spray everywhere with me. It is herbal non addictive and you can use as often as you need it whilst out.  It is discreet to use so nobody around you realises you are using it.

I have managed without meds and fingers crossed I'm getting out and about loads more where before I didnt go out the house at all for 3mths.  I have not needed my spray for a few weeks now but it was my saviour many many times.  it calms you down within seconds and if needs be you can use it every few minutes.

I hope this helps smile

Mel

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks guys, I'll try out some of the methods you mentioned! smile
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up