I stop taking amtrypline now for couple of weeks after being on them for 6 months. I now

Posted , 6 users are following.

Iv been on amtrypline 10 mg for 6 months. I've been off them for couple of weeks. I'm now getting weird head pains .dizziness. It's mainly at night. Has anyone else felt like this. Cheers

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

ohh man, I'm on 20mg now for the past 3/4 months.. and it's prescribed for the constant dizziness (not working I guess), wonder what would happens if I've had to stop them.. more dizzy than I already am? damn!

• Posted

I have been on 20mg for just over 2 years for migraine, sleep problems, dizziness. I was looking at coming off them gradually in the new year, but after reading so many comments on numerous pages, i am so scared to come off them for all the reasons mentioned above.
    • Posted

hi man, mind if I'm asking.. does amitriptyline does it's magic on you? did you get any relief by taking them? assuming 2 years on it does justify it, maybe..

• Posted

See my reply to Desmond - I hope you find it helpful and do not fear the process of coming off them as much after you read it. Be well
    • Posted

It took about 3 months for it to properly work with me, but yes it does. It doesn't agree with everyone though.

• Posted

Hi Desmond

​Do not despair, this can be achieved albeit with a few side effects as you come off them. It is never wise to just stop taking a drug like this as your body will react to suddeny being denied the tablets. It is best if, with your GP on side, to cut down slowly by taking 10mg one day, then 5mg the next for a week. Then 5mg a day for a week. Then 5mg every other day for a week. Then 5mg every 3 days etc.... Eventually, although this sounds a pain to do, your system will gradually accept less and less and need less and less until you are Amitriptyline free. Please see your GP and involve him/her to get your scripts changed to allow this process.

I hope this helps and you are well and clear very soon

• Posted

You too Desmond. Let us know how you get on please. I would be very interested to see how it goes for you. But, don't give up giving up if you see what I mean! smile

• Posted

Hi Desmond I thought il reply I've also come off amitriptyline since end of October and I've been nausea symptoms since...I've had a blood test and stool done all is normal..I came of cold turkey after been on it for 2 years 25mg.

• Posted

Cheers for reply. I'm having nightmare but iaint going back on them. Just going to ride the storm and hopefully next year it get better. Happy xmas and new year to you

• Posted

Yh that's good do that...I'm also going to ride it out....did u gain weight whilst on the medication and now loss it?I've lost weight since coming off which is only a good thing

• Posted

How long you been having pains in your head I've been having pains in my head for six months and back pains now 24 hours a day and I was only taking them For three months and stop cold turkey I didn't know I was taking them I thought there were sleeping pills the doctor gave me.but I mixed in with some herbs Chinese doctor gave me that was a bad combination I woke up with pains headaches and sweats it's been six months still struggling please help if you can. Can't sleep

• Posted

Hi I'm same I came off more less cold turkey. My headaches are gone but my head feels like it burning. I get sweat at night and racing heart. But definitely not going back on the amtrypline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.