I stopped taking Mirtazapine 6 weeks ago and still haven't lost any of the weight I gained?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. I was on Mirtazapine for about 8 months to help with anxiety. I was on 30 mg for around 5 months and 15 mg for the rest .Duringg that time I gained around 15 kg (33 lbs). My doctor and I decided it would be a good idea to come off them due to the weight gain as I was feeling much better. I tapered for around 2 months then came off the last few mg very rapidly.

I have been off them for 6 weeks and have yet to lose any of the weight I gained. I am active, running or playing sport most days and am eating much less now.

I feel fantastic as far as my anxiety and depression are concerned (the best I have felt in years), but not being able to lose any weight yet is very disheartening. I was always pretty trim and now I can't even look at my naked body in the mirror.

Has anyone had trouble losing the weight after coming off?

How long will it take before the weight should come off?

Any help would be great. I am at a loss

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My story is similar to yours but like you I am struggling to lose the weight I gained. What is worse my sleep problems are back to square 1
    • Posted

Sorry to hear Bob. My sleeping has been ok luckily.

How long have you been off?

• Posted

I stopped taking it 9 months ago. I am a relatively petite female and gained almost 20 lbs in 3 months. I have taken off 12 pounds. My eating ha its did not change radically while I was on the drug. It helped with my sleep and anxiety. My sleep is back to ......awful
  • Posted

Hmm I lost 20 pounds when I can’t off, I weighed 190, now weigh 169. I do workout, eat lightly in the morning, lightly in the evening, and lightly at dinner. The reason I gained so much weight from remeron was because after taking it I would eat right before bed like eat a lot, are you not eating at least 3 hours before bed?
    • Posted

Yeah. I stop eating a few hours before bed most of the time.

Did you start losing right away?

• Posted

Yeah, I couldn’t eat for a few days but forced myself to, but my problem was eating I’ve cream and cheese it’s right before bed after taking it, lol I was almost 200 pounds but 2 months later I’m almost 30 pounds lighter, I’m trying to think, I sink water all day at work, I work out twice a week, I walk at Amazon, that weight should come off of your not eating as much and going to bed without eating late night snacks, what other meds are you on?
    • Posted

No other meds. Maybe I just need to give it more time. I could definitely reduce my portion size which definitely increased while I was on the meds. But before the meds I didn't have to worry about portion control. It's so frustrating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.